Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
So I've given up on trying to fix the modem that came in my G4 and I'll just throw down 50 bucks for a new external one that's USB. I've heard bad things about some of them and great things about others, but most of the information is years old since hardly anyone uses dialup these days. So if you have any suggestions on which one I should buy, please let me know. Also, the only place I really know to buy apple stuff online is macmall.com so let me know about better places if there are any.

thanks for any help!!
PS I can only use dialup, sorry, I live out in the middle of nowhere and it's my only option!

dustin

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
I don't know company names or types, but you may want to get a PCI modem. If you've got the spare slot, and don't mind filling it, you may as well use it. It would be a lot easier to deal with (assuming you know how to install it, which isn't hard), you wouldn't have to worry about loosing it or knocking it off the table or anything. I don't have any facts whatsoever to back this up, but it just seems like you may have a better experience (quiality-wise) with a PCI as opposed to USB modem. Just my 2 cents hope maybe I helped. Good luck.

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
I've never put cards in before, so that's kind of why I'm thinking about the external one. I suppose if it's easy enough I could do it, but I still need suggestions on which card ot buy and all of that...

dustin

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'd say that you don't have much choice. Zoom telephonics bought Global Village years ago and they were the #1 supplier of modems to the Mac market. They were even supplying the PowerMac G3 modems. They may still have USB-connected modems.

The only other choice would be to get a USB to serial converter and use an older serial port modem.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
I don't think I've ever seen a PCI modem for Mac OS X... but there are a few USB modems that are Mac compatible. Check a retailer like ClubMac and search for USB Modem.

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
well, the only real problem I see with the modem right now is that system profiler or whatever says there is no modem dinstalled. Where would I get the driver for my modem and maybe if I install that, I'll be back in business.

any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.