Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ocellnuri

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Raleigh, NC, USA
I've got a new 12" Powerbook.

When I put it to sleep the latch button pulses (or breathes) like it's supposed to. However, yesterday I noticed that it seems to breathe at two different intensities. There's a dim breathing and a bright breathing. I've sat and watched it switch between the two. I hope I'm explaining it well... Basically it's like it pulses at half the brightness it usually does.. then it will arbitrarily switch to full brightness pulsing.

Does this mean anything? I was thinking maybe it was detecting a WiFi network or something, but I know that's extremely wishfull thinking. :D

Thanks in advance.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Well, when it's sleeping, it's definitely not detecting any WiFi networks.
I have noticed "inconsistent" light breathing on a couple Macs before as well, and I think it's normal.

Lee Tom

stoid

macrumors 601
And here I thought that only humans could get sleep apnea. :eek: It seems like maybe some of the circuitry controlling the brightness is a little shaky. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as it's running in sleep mode. If you are still under warranty, and can do without it, you could call Apple and see what they say/if they'll fix it for you.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Mine has two brightnesses also but mine have a very direct correlation with the possition of the lid. It pulses dimly when the lid is open and brightly when the powerbook is closed.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
yippy said:
Mine has two brightnesses also but mine have a very direct correlation with the possition of the lid. It pulses dimly when the lid is open and brightly when the powerbook is closed.

Yes, my 15" AlPB does exactly the same thing. Who else but Apple would add a subtle touch like that?

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
My 15" PB does that as well.

I guess it's to distinguish a napping PB and a sleeping PB? ;)

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I have never noticed this before, but I will check it out now.

I remember one of the system updates made it not as bright... or maybe it just made it vary between bright/notso bright.

So it might be software controlled.

Also, is this on all PB's?

I have a 12''

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
I always give my little 12" a bottle of warm milk before putting it to sleep for the night and the pulsing light seems to breathe better when I do - HAH

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
OldManJimbo said:
I always give my little 12" a bottle of warm milk before putting it to sleep for the night and the pulsing light seems to breathe better when I do - HAH

a lullaby also helps calm the PB down into a nice deep sleep, its also good to try and burp it before it falls asleep :D

ocellnuri

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Raleigh, NC, USA
I played with lid position last night, and I couldn't get the brightness of the pulse to respond in any way...

As a relative Mac "newbie" I expected this to be answered in a few moments. I had no clue I could produce such a stumper! :D

Thanks for all the responses thus far!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.