Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. No

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
In the Build-to-Order section of the Apple.com store for the PM G5, it lists a "PCI-X Gigabit Ethernet Card".

Does this deliver any improvements (speed or otherwise) over the internal ethernet connection? :confused:

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
only if you have a gigabit network equipment i.e. switches, hubs, routers, and cat6 cable, and you are transfering very large files. for examples serveral large audio files or video files that is about the only reason a home user would need gigabit ethernet.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I think it's just for if you need to have two Ethernet ports in your system. The internal gigabit port and the one provided by the card are probably both the same speed, although the internal one may have all its processing done by the CPU instead of with a dedicated chip.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
There's a good chance the PCI-X card is on a faster bus than the KeyLargo2's Ethernet port (which is a PCI bus shared by all I/O).

The X-Serve G5 uses a built-in Broadcom PCI-X gig-Ethernet chip that resides off the KeyLargo.

Since the Broadcom offerings are 10-gigabit capable, Apple may be bumping the PowerMac's ethernet soon.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
Sun Baked said:
There's a good chance the PCI-X card is on a faster bus than the KeyLargo2's Ethernet port (which is a PCI bus shared by all I/O).

The X-Serve G5 uses a built-in Broadcom PCI-X gig-Ethernet chip that resides off the KeyLargo.

Since the Broadcom offerings are 10-gigabit capable, Apple may be bumping the PowerMac's ethernet soon.
well, also the g5 has integrated ethernet and sound which means they run on the system bus and so adding a pci sound card and ethernet could give it a slight speed boost

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
homerjward said:
well, also the g5 has integrated ethernet and sound which means they run on the system bus and so adding a pci sound card and ethernet could give it a slight speed boost
As I said the integrated ethernet is on the KeyLargo2 -- which has a shared PCI-bus with ALL other I/O.

Going upstream to PCI gets you off the shared PCI bus and onto PCI-X.

Basically the same set-up as the XServe G5 -- except the XServe put in on the motherboard instead of the PCI-X card.

Don't know who does the PCI-X add-on card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.