Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pureelite1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
I am running snow leopard on the 27" imac and for some reason when i try dragging files onto the USB that i have inserted it does not let me copy the files? It doesn't do that with the other USBs i don't understand why this one is not letting it copy. It reads it fine.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Do you know how the USB is formatted?
If it is NTFS, then you can read it, but not write to it
If it is FAT32, then you should be able to both read and write to it

You can use Disk Utility to reformat to MS DOS (FAT)
Or, if it NTFS, you can download and install NTFS-3G and you will be able to read and write NTFS drives from your Mac

Check out the various file systems here: MR Guide: File Systems

pureelite1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Yes you were correct it was a formatting problem. Well anyways i installed this program Paragon NTFS for Mac v7 but before this i also formatted the USB using windows to FAT32. However now when i insert it, it reads it momentarily and then after 15 seconds ejects by itself?

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Yes you were correct it was a formatting problem. Well anyways i installed this program Paragon NTFS for Mac v7 but before this i also formatted the USB using windows to FAT32. However now when i insert it, it reads it momentarily and then after 15 seconds ejects by itself?

I'd say try formatting it again using OSX and see if that works. Also, since it's just a USB drive, I would recommend sticking with FAT32 unless you're copying file sizes larger than 4GB (which is probably unlikely given that most drives aren't all that big).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.