Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
The Centris 660av was one of the shortest-lived Apple models, and I would guess it was one of the rarest. It was only in production for two months before it was replaced with the almost-identical Quadra 660av. (The Centris name had been introduced as a "low end" Quadra with the Centris 610, but after the 660av came out, they merged the brands for simplification purposes.)

I have what is, last time I checked, a working Centris 660av. Well, the hard drive is gone, but it has an external SCSI drive that boots it. That drive could probably be put inside.

I am in the process of moving, and really need to down-size my stuff. The Centris has no use to me (it's 25 MHz... yes Mega), but I love the kitschiness of how rare it was.

I saw one go on eBay for $10. Hardly a fitting end for such a cool Mac (a pizza box, as these models were called). Can anyone help me find a better home for it?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I don't think it is going to go up in value for a while yet. I personally love the systems, and agree with the idea that it should be worth more though :) .

I still find a use for my 840av, typing up blogs and actually listening to CDs. Gotta love the built in DSP for sound recoridng too ;) .

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
It is a collector's item but I doubt you will be able to get much for it (esp since it has no HD). Many people just don't have space for these old Macs (but I would pay good money for a IIfx)....

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Centris 660av, PowerMac 6100, Performa 6116, Quadra 660av, same form factor. These have been desirable systems in the past, but good luck selling a machine with no hard drive.

Meldar

macrumors regular
I've got a working one as well, only it's got a hard drive in and boots 7.5.3 - and I'm not selling it. Even if I was the one who technically owned it, I wouldn't sell it.

But that's ok, because there seems to be someone who will. :p

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
All I got was $15 for a complete Centris 650 earlier this summer. Thats completely functioning fresh install of OS 8.1, Apple monitor, Apple keyboard and mouse. Unfortunately, to most people its still just an old 68k Mac. Granted yours is a later AV, but I still wouldn't expect much.

macuserfan1

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2013
The Centris 660av was one of the shortest-lived Apple models, and I would guess it was one of the rarest. It was only in production for two months before it was replaced with the almost-identical Quadra 660av. (The Centris name had been introduced as a "low end" Quadra with the Centris 610, but after the 660av came out, they merged the brands for simplification purposes.)

I have what is, last time I checked, a working Centris 660av. Well, the hard drive is gone, but it has an external SCSI drive that boots it. That drive could probably be put inside.

I am in the process of moving, and really need to down-size my stuff. The Centris has no use to me (it's 25 MHz... yes Mega), but I love the kitschiness of how rare it was.

I saw one go on eBay for $10. Hardly a fitting end for such a cool Mac (a pizza box, as these models were called). Can anyone help me find a better home for it?

This system is definitely worth money now...even for parts. I have a working 660av and am trying to determine it's value before selecting a site to sell it on.

Were you able to sell yours? With or without hard disk? Were you able to test it? How much did it go for?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I would have to imagine no Mac's or Apple's are of particular value yet (> $1,000). Except for the Apple I, or possibly a Lisa. They just aren't old enough yet.

Many years have to pass, and many units have to be trashed before what you own becomes "rare". This also goes for merchandise, no Think Different poster is going to have much value unless it has Steve's autograph or something.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I would have to imagine no Mac's or Apple's are of particular value yet (> $1,000). Except for the Apple I, or possibly a Lisa. They just aren't old enough yet.

Many years have to pass, and many units have to be trashed before what you own becomes "rare". This also goes for merchandise, no Think Different poster is going to have much value unless it has Steve's autograph or something.

Quite a few of the rarer models are. The original Macintosh, with all original packaging, can go for over $1000. The TAM (Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh) in pristine condition, with all original accessories can go for that much.

Of course, plenty of system can go for that as a "modern used computer" still, even though they're quite obsolete. (Fully loaded quad-core G5, for example.)

Some of the "not released in the US" models can fetch a pretty penny due to rarity. (PowerBook 550c, PowerBook 2400c, etc.)

The Centris 660av is in a special position - it wasn't a particularly impressive system, but it is one of the few 68k "AV" machines, along with having the extremely short-lived "Centris" name. That said, neither of those makes it truly expensive at this point. If you want to get a decent amount of money, you'll have to do the "list it on eBay for a fairly high starting price over and over, and just wait for someone to bid that." It might have to be up for months, though, so you'd better be patient.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland

Oh I'd say the Macintosh 128K, TAM and Original Apple ][ all go for over $1000 these days, even in the USA.

Tip for sellers of vintage Apple items: Europeans will pay a lot more than American's because they are much harder to come by.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.