Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
anyone concerned with the case that can't fold flat in the back? First it makes the ipad less thin. second it, there are times when you want it sit flat down.

use the case in stand mode for movie is good but how often do you actually need this mode. many times you still want it thin and flat to hold. with the case can't fold flat, this can cause people to just remove it and put it on, which is very inconvenient.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
anyone concerned with the case that can't fold flat in the back? First it makes the ipad less thin. second it, there are times when you want it sit flat down.

use the case in stand mode for movie is good but how often do you actually need this mode. many times you still want it thin and flat to hold. with the case can't fold flat, this can cause people to just remove it and put it on, which is very inconvenient.

Yeah, I agree. The case needs to be able to fold all the way back. However, keep in mind that the iPad does not have a flat back, its a bit curved. Not sure how this will affect the cases, but we should find out soon enough.

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
It doesn't look like the apple case will fold flat from the pictures, and that has deterred me from buying it.

While I don't think I would find much use for the "movie" position, as a student, the "typing" position is quite attractive. I have asked my girlfriend to sew me a fleece slip to put the iPad in during transport until I can find a case that can both lay flat, and configure to the typing position (of course all while being unobtrusive :) )

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
those stand positions sound nice but thinking about practical uses of it.

here are the most usage in order:
1) protection from dropping and from dirt/water.
2) lay down and in tilt position. this is mostly used on bed, sofa, airplane when you sit.
3) landscape stand will be used rarely.

Con:
no portrait stand. you need this for web browsing and when laying down on bed.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
do you think that third vendors can come out with a better case? and how long this will happen.

obviously you don't want to wait for 6 months for a really good/better case leaving our ipad unprocted.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
WHAT!? IM PISSED... I really am thinking about canceling my order now. I knew it was too good to be true.

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
do you think that third vendors can come out with a better case? and how long this will happen.

obviously you don't want to wait for 6 months for a really good/better case leaving our ipad unprocted.

Yes, I think third-party vendors are coming out with better cases. In fact, if transport only (i.e. no stand like qualities) is your (ambiguous you, obviously not the OP) only concern, there are already announced, far superior cases.

Check out these threads:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/878780/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/860208/

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I'm trying to understand what you mean by flat. you don't have to clip it on the back, it does fold all the way back like a notebook (paper notebook)

I see what you are saying, however, if it does indeed fold flat, it looks like it won't do so without some pressure needing to be applied constantly.

I am looking for something like this:

http://www.orbino.com/store/index.php?cPath=176

...just not so expensive or (in my opinion) ugly. That being said, that case does not have the typing position I am most interested in.

CoreyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I'll take my chances with the apple case to start. Its only $39, so if i dont return it and choose to keep it its not that much money I wont feel heartbroken to find a better one if it stinks

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I was watching MacBreak Weekly this morning on TWiT and one of the guys on the show actually just bought this slip case for the iPad. it's not like the folding case, but for half the price, I'm considering ordering this one instead. its a sleeve case that has a zip pocket in the front for the charger for just $19.99. Its an iPad/Netbook case, but it has the same dimensions as the iPad, so it should fit tight.

I only really need a case for when I travel, at home I plan to use without a case.
Scooba Design

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
on MacBreak Weekly, the guy open the package on the air and the Sleeve Case had a cardboard cutout of an iPad inside, so I am assuming that it will fit. the photo I posted does make it look a little too small.

The Netbook/iPad Neo-Sleeve will fit netbooks up to 10.1" screen size (or 11" x 7.5" x 1.5" overall chassis size).

iPad: H 9.56 x W 7.47 x D 0.5

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
landscape stand will be used rarely.
I would imagine it being used to set it on a coffee table or toilet seat lid to watch a movie.
Con:
no portrait stand. you need this for web browsing and when laying down on bed.

I seem to recall a portrait stand position: just fold the back over and stand it vertically on the triangle. Granted, this would not be much use in bed, but we do have these amazing inventions called "pillows" that might do what you need.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010

not really. Those cases are either not looking nice or not function well.

being available is one thing but has to be better/cheaper than Apple. Apple case got Apple logo and this feature alone can make it better than other non-apple case. when it come to apple product, it is the brand name that matters

so in order for us to buy non-apple case, it has to be:
1) Cheaper
2) Function beter
3) Look as nice or nicer than apple case
4) in one piece together with ipad. not convenient if I have to put on/off and losing it.

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
I'm trying to understand what you mean by flat. you don't have to clip it on the back, it does fold all the way back like a notebook (paper notebook)

Do you have a picture of it folding all the way on the back?

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
I was watching MacBreak Weekly this morning on TWiT and one of the guys on the show actually just bought this slip case for the iPad. it's not like the folding case, but for half the price, I'm considering ordering this one instead. its a sleeve case that has a zip pocket in the front for the charger for just $19.99. Its an iPad/Netbook case, but it has the same dimensions as the iPad, so it should fit tight.

I only really need a case for when I travel, at home I plan to use without a case.
Scooba Design

this is just a ugly bag. it has no functions like apple case. it does not come in one piece with ipad: you have to take it out and put it in regually. you lost it somewhere, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.