Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Well, we told you it was coming... :) Seriously though, Apple has finally released the Mac OS X v10.0.4 upgrade. Reach it via the normal Software Updates app in the "Control Panel."

Relevant links (Apple TIL items):
<ul>
<li>Mac OS X (10.0.4) Update Information and Software
<li>Mac OS X (10.0.4) Combined Update Information and Software
<li>Mac OS X (10.0.4) Combined Update Information and Software
<li>Mac OS X 10.0: 10.0.4 Update and Before You Install Information
<li>Mac OS X Server 10.0: About This Mac Says 10.0.3 Even Though 10.0.4 Is Installed
</ul>

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Observations?

Anyone notice interesting effects of the upgrade? I felt the system was overall faster when I rebooted and got back into OS X. But, this could be all in my head. Nothing major--but a little faster it seemed.

Anyone else?

blakespot

S

sobelizzard

it is faster

yeah, i noticed a difference for sure. This build seems even smoother than the one that was leaked (4Q4)...Viewing windows in the list view is considerably faster than 10.0.3. i can't wait for 10.0.5 and then 10.1! we're gettin there slowly but surely.
Does anyone have any news about whether or not to expect the new iMac at NECC?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
not what i was hoping for

Yes it is faster but i wish windows would open as fast as in os 9 or atleast a little faster.

Delays in opening explorer and eudora could be bettered

But still this is a big step in the right direction

Wez

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Due to the complexicty of Aqua, I would be completely satisfied if OS X's window opening, etc. were never quite up to OS 9's speed. It doesn't get much more simple than OS 9's window ops--so clearly it is going to be faster. This does not translate to a "faster system" however. The total system throughput/efficiency of OS X is far greater, now, than that of oh thou of ancient kernel design, OS 9.

blakespot

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
printers

I know that it has more usb support but does anyone know if any new printers were added?

Xistor

macrumors member
May 1, 2001
California
Complete list of OS 10.0.4 changes!

I'm glad they fixed that USB sleep crashing bug! Also, the new option to turn off the bouncing icons for people without G4s who don't want to waste soo much processor time on cute effects was a nice thought. A lot of new drives supported for iTunes as well.

Anyone wanting to read a comprehensive list of changes from Apple in the 10.0.4 update, it's posted directly through my site:

http://www.mxormedia.com/OSX/OSX.htm

click the section header link "10.0.4" in the green section below complaints which lists all the stuff that's been tested to have been added or fixed since 10.0.0..
Although, I have found changes that Apple didn't document in this more complete list (like the new Dock preference about not bouncing.).. read my site, it's all there! If it's not, post it!

S

sobelizzard

i think im going crazy

Uhhh.... what time is it?? I just glanced at my monitor and noticed that my menu bar clock is nowhere to be found! I went into system prefs to check it maybe it had been disabled... but everything in the prefs is fine..... the clock is just M.I.A.!! I just installed 10.0.4 (4Q12) last night...... so I'm guessing that this may have something to do with it... Has anyone else had this problem?? If this is a bug (and not just my insanity), it seems like a pretty obvious thing, and something that should have been squashed during all of the extra time that we waited for 10.0.4! I'm gonna go to sleep, and just hope the clock re-appears by morning

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Clock

I'm not sure what is wrong with your clock mine works fine on an ibook 300 with 160 megs of ram. I'm not sure how you could fix though.

Sorry i couldn't help

W-_-W

D

d00d

Not an Upgrade!

When the third number is changed in a piece of software, it's considered an update, not an upgrade. Generally, when the first or second number is changed, new features are added and therefore it is an upgrade. Apple bent the rules of this convention when it added the CD burning a couple of updates ago. I say bent because one could attribute it to an iTunes update. At any rate, no new features were included with this version change, so it's just an update, not upgrade.

Xistor

macrumors member
May 1, 2001
California
My clock scared your clock away..

d00d: I would say you were 100% right, it is just a bug squishing update, except they added more CD burners for iTunes and one little teeny weany absolutely new thing: You can turn off bouncing icons and have pulsing triangles instead now (dock preferences).. oooh, ahhhh, OOOOOh... -- Does that count as an upgrade? :)

Sobelizzard: No problems here with the clock btw.. everything's fine. Have you tried destroying your time/date preferences file to force the computer to make a new one? (Don't ask me where it is, I'm really green on Unix-anything)

tywoods

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2001
Arkansas
Hello

Don't know what is wrong with your clock my works also, with update.

I can't wait for the isub update for my imac DV Slot, so i can hear some damb bass for a change.

Thats the only thang that i am waiting for really.

ty

G

Uhh, Duh, The Dock preference for no bouncing has been there since 10.0

Uhh, Duh, The Dock preference for no bouncing has been there since 10.0... I always use it and always have.

Xistor

macrumors member
May 1, 2001
California
Q. Why clock doesn't show up...

A. Your date/time preferences are altered. Reset this by opening System Preferences from the Apple menu, click on Date & Time, click Menu Bar Clock, and recheck the "Show the clock in the menu bar" item. That should do it.

thedbp

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2001
Balto., MD
Well

my update experience was buggy at best.

Updated to 10.0.4 and my Applications folder was suddenly not within my permission to change unless I logged in as root. This bothered me. Its one of those bugs that completely shuts down your access or ability to a great number of things. I attributed this to my heavy use of command-line hacks and utils, so I'm not blaming Apple. I did many, many things with OS X that I wasn't supposed to do.

So I wiped X off and decided to try again from scratch. Installed 10.0 without a hitch. Reboot. Hmmm. That's odd. instead of setting up my new install, I'm faced with a login box. Type in my old username/pw and it jumps right to my desktop, although my dock is populated with folders where my apps should be. A trip to the applications folder shows that ALL my apps are being treated as folders. I tried to use the System Preferences to switch back to 9, but alas, the System Prefs app was indeed a folder as well. Reboot from OS 9 CD. Select 9 on my HD. Reboot. *anyone else notice how much rebooting i've had to do so far?!?* Using Snitch, i found a bunch of invisibles from X lying around (/var, /usr, /etc., etc.) Trashed those too. Installed 10.0 AGAIN.

NOW its working. Updated to 10.0.4 from the image I downloaded, thinking it would pack all of the updates into one sleek package. Installed fine. Reboot. Check in Software Update panel for the new IE preview, etc. Hmmmmm my Software Update panel isn't working!!!! Crikey! Could it be that the Software Update update wasn't included in 10.0.4 full d/l? Reboot back into 9. Wipe OS X off, including all the stupid invisibles that take forever and a day to reveal them all.

Reinstall 10.0. AGAIN (this requires 2 more reboots). This time I go directly to my SWUpdate and let it take care of all the updates for me. Sure enough, the first one it picks up is the SWUpdate update. Reboot. Immediately thereafter, it picks up 10.0.4, iTunes, then IE Preview 2 and the Epson printer drivers. At this point the only problem i had was that IE wouldn't download and install until after I had done the Epson Printer Drivers, even though IE came up first in the SWUpdate panel. As soon as I did them in reverse order, it worked fine though.

All I have to say is: My system is running beautifully. OS 9 flies since I compacted, cleaned house, and defragged prior to doing all this X nonsense. X is flying faster than ever, but I have no idea what to attribute that too after this fiasco. It didn't take me that long in all honesty, but had this happend to a new user, Apple's tech help line would be burning up. This is the type of thing I expect when I install Windows. I guess the lesson to be learned is that X is a much more finicky beast when it comes to delicate underhood surgery than 9....

*sigh* and now I have to update my signature again!

thedbp

thedbp

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2001
Balto., MD
P.S.

Just to clarify, its not like I install Windows all the time. I was just saying that for reference. In fact, I haven't touched a copy of Windows for... HEY! PUT DOWN THOSE ROCKS!

Ow!

ScooterNH

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2000
Strange Disk "Ticking"?

Anyone else notice a change in disk activity with the 10.0.4 release?

I went from 10.0.3 to 10.0.4 without any hassles, though now for the past 3-4 days, I've noticed a persistant "Ticking" that sounds like the disk head. This occurs at about 1 sec intervals. Very annoying. It sounds like a grandfather clock (or a bomb ready to blow!).

I thought it was some indexing feature, but checked into that (Sherlock) and it does not appear to be the case. Process viewer does not appear to show any abnormal processes running. I've tried rebooting and all but still - tick tick tick tick tick...

G

True that...

That does sound like a windoze install except that with Windoze it would've crashed during installation ala Windows 98 upgrade. Don't ask why my work still has Win95 machines around, but suffice it to say it was pain when I needed better USB support for my visor. Stupid ass 45min upgrade. Yack!

thedbp

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2001
Balto., MD
sad but true

windows 95, sadly, was the most stable release of windows for consumers, and that's now 6 years old. my work still runs 90% of its machines with 95 even though they all have nice new USB ports and all. What a waste! What am I saying? They should all be running Darwin and serving Mac-related discussion boards.

thedbp

thedbp

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2001
Balto., MD
and now my actual realized benefit

whoa - this release is tons better in scrolling, resizing, and hierarchal menus popping up in the dock. anyone else notice a significant improvement?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.