Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamicat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Help, I made up a wireless password about a year ago on my mac, and have forgotten it. This hasn't been a problem until now, I purchased a new macbook and it is asking for my password.

I thought it would be sweet to call my internet provider and after answering security questions they could give me my password, but they said they can't, the password is saved in the modem and I have to contact the modem tech support to find out how to recover my password. Only problem is, the only number I can find for them is a 1300 number in Australia, I live in New Zealand.

Does anyone know how I can find my password through my computer? I am connected to the wireless modem on this computer, so how do I recover the password through this so I can use it on my new laptop?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but the modem I am using is Edimax.

Thank you x 100000 :D

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
On the Mac that has a working connection, look up the name of the wireless LAN you're connected to (via the AirPort Menu Bar icon or the Network Preferences) and then go to Applications > Utilities > Keychain and look up your password.

For a more detailed guide with pictures, go here.

pcman2000

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
Another way:
Go to spoightlight
Search for "Keychain Access"
Enter your COmputer password
in the sidebar, click "System"
Find your network name
Double Click it
Tick 'Show Password"
Enter your Computer/Login Password again
Press "Allow"
VOLIA! :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.