Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
You are placed at the person in charge of coming out with the next version of the Apple TV, you have full control your only limit is your imagination.

My perfect Apple TV would be the same UI, same footprint, allows you to add files via USB (external hard drive or thumb drive) and be able to stream PPV events such as the UFC, football games and boxing.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
1) Adopt the iPhone OS

2) Add an App store

3) Full support for 1080p

4a) Add a higher-end model that supports BluRay and DVR functions, *OR*

4b) Allow 3rd-party hardware expansions for those functions

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I think I have a better chance of winning the lottery than Apple fulfilling my wish list, but OK:

1. New hardware including a faster processor, more RAM, SATA interface and 1080p playback at up to at least 40 Mbps.

2. Adopt either 10.6 or iPhone OS as a base including support for QTKit HTTP live streaming, but keep all current software features.

3. Add an App Store (El Gato EyeTV, etc).

4. Add Dashboard including full support for current OS X widgets (Radar, Weather, Clocks, Calendar and Stocks).

5. Add Safari for basic web browsing.

6. Add Bluetooth and support the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse for browsing.

7. Support attached storage off an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule including full syncing and streaming back and forth.

8. More iPhone, iPad and iPhone touch integration.

9. TV and movie subscription service (streaming or download).

10. Better MobileMe integration.

11. It needs a WOW factor to promote its place in the Apple lifestyle. Something futuristic and "flashy” like the name of the caller on my iPhone popping up on the screen, calendar app showing the entire family’s calendar, iPad-like origami screen saver, create your own iTunes-like Extras for your iMovie project, etc. Apple needs to bring the “digital hub” back.

12. “Play to” Apple TV video from iTunes like you can do on Windows 7 and the 360; support screen sharing your Mac’s desktop with the Apple TV including sound like Intel’s upcoming WiDi technology

Dan--

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
You are placed at the person in charge of coming out with the next version of the Apple TV, you have full control your only limit is your imagination.

Yup, I'm the product manager ;), and we'll be doing the following. It's a lot like what many of you are already asking:
  1. 2 Primary Models: Server/Streaming, and Streaming only
  2. Hard drives in Server/Streaming model: 320GB and 1TB (SATA)
  3. Storage in Streaming only model: 16GB SSD (SATA)
  4. Server Model can sync with a desktop or laptop, and then stream to other Apple TVs without the original computers available.
  5. Fully 1080p capable
  6. HDMI 1.4, 3D support
  7. Safari (Note: I specified Flash support, but that got killed at much higher levels of management.)
  8. Visualizer
  9. External hard drives supported via USB
  10. Network drives supported (via Bonjour)
  11. External input and expansion for third party USB hardware. (Note we do not wish to add a hardwired input other than ethernet.)
  12. Bluetooth support for input devices
  13. App store
  14. Wireless controller for apps, or use iPod Touch or iPhone
  15. Wireless HDMI input

TheSeagull

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2010
-500GB Storage
-1080p Support
-Blu-Ray Player
-Ability to import DVD and Blu-Ray like iTunes can import CDs

I know I'm wishful on the last two, hopefully they'll be implemented eventually on either iTunes or an Apple set-top-box. I don't see why iTunes can import and encode music but not video.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I'll play along. I'm not hard to please, but I need at least the following on the next aTV.

1. 1080p support for up to 25 Mbps h264 videos

2. Better remote with QWERTY keyboard and a small multitouch surface.

3. New/revised OS that allows for third-party plug-in. Typical plug-ins would be Hulu, Netflix, Pandora. Other plug-ins would be for additional hardware support (i.e. eyeTV, TVGOS, network tuners, etc).

4. More movies available via iTunes.

5. Apps.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I'm not going to shoot for the moon here, just something that Apple should be able to do.

It needs support for at least 30fps 720p (since Apple says that the iPad will support up to 30fps 720p that would seem to be the next logical upgrade for the Apple TV -- perhaps even with a software update to the existing model).

Beyond that, there needs to be a standalone iTunes media server that can be accessed from the Apple TV and/or any other iTunes compatible device (iPad, Mac/PC, iPhone, iPod touch). Of course, you could add any amount of storage that you wanted to such a server. This needs to be something that would be cheaper than a full-blown Mac -- basically a dedicated, always-on iTunes media and file server. I guess this is kind of a "shoot to the moon" request, but it's really needed in my opinion.

I suspect that Apple will eventually move to a streaming-only device for the Apple TV. That would allow for an essentially diskless system (or with 8GB to 32GB of flash memory) which could result in a less complex device (and as the cost of flash decreases Apple could perhaps produce an Apple TV for under $200).

Lastly, the Apple TV probably needs a little more processing power to reduce lags that can now occur when using the GUI. Frankly, I think a lot of the hiccups in the current Apple TV interface are caused by disk access/thrashing so if they could devote a section of flash memory to just the OS (and/or add more DRAM) then things might improve dramatically over the existing hard-drive model.

glaikit

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
I want DVR, either built in or via an app store which would allow someone like Elgato to provide a USB peripheral. Other than that a simple hardware upgrade to bring it up to speed. 1080p HD is a must in 2010. Blu-ray would be a bonus but I don't see that happening. Stick a big expandable hard drive in there too, 250gig minimum.

It's the DVR capabilities which is the system seller for me. I have Virgin cable which is a pig to use and I'd love to replace it with an AppleTV.

makktrakker

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2006
most NAS does itunes streaming

I

Beyond that, there needs to be a standalone iTunes media server that can be accessed from the Apple TV and/or any other iTunes compatible device (iPad, Mac/PC, iPhone, iPod touch). Of course, you could add any amount of storage that you wanted to such a server. This needs to be something that would be cheaper than a full-blown Mac -- basically a dedicated, always-on iTunes media and file server. I guess this is kind of a "shoot to the moon" request, but it's really needed in my opinion.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Just a completely random thought ....

An Atv with up to a 2 tb hdd built in and that can sync to ipods and iphones. Beyond that the usual ponies of more cpu, etc.

Considering as it exists even an atv can access the iTunes store ... buy movies and rent movies, purchase music etc. it seems to me that now you would not have any need for an actual computer if you do not wish to consume your media ... obviously provided its iTunes content ( leaving the option for current computer sync as well for those of us that might want to encode content via HB and what not ).

So, with an atv you could do whatever you want media wise with no computer ( Grandma and Grandpa may not know anything about a mouse or even know what a computer is, but even they can run a television remote) ... So then if you have your iPod/iPhone you can sync it with your atv as you currently do with your computer. The Atv *could* in this scenario be your central media hub for your other devices as an option. Then of course if you had an iPod/iPhone you could ( using the remote.app) control the atv.

Just a fleeting thought. Not grandiose by any means but in some ways it seems its closer than some of the other ponies ( unicorns as you wish ).

kjr39

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Most of the other common things that have been mentioned plus:

- the ability to enter text from an iphone/itouch/ipad qwerty keyboard.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I would kill Apple TV and replace it with two products instead:

1. Home Server
  • Time Machine backup, AirDisk
  • iPhoto/Aperture and iTunes Server
  • iCal and Address Book server
  • iPhone/iPod/iPad sync station
  • 4 internal 3.5" SATA expansion
  • 801.11n, gigabit Ethernet

2. AirPort Express HD
  • All the existing features of AirPort Express (802.11, gigabit Ethernet, USB), plus HDMI output for audio and video streaming
  • Streams from Mac (running iTunes), PC (running iTunes), or Home Server
  • Remote control via iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
I would kill Apple TV and replace it with two products instead:

1. Home Server
  • Time Machine backup, AirDisk
  • iPhoto/Aperture and iTunes Server
  • iCal and Address Book server
  • iPhone/iPod/iPad sync station
  • 4 internal 3.5" SATA expansion
  • 801.11n, gigabit Ethernet

2. AirPort Express HD
  • All the existing features of AirPort Express (802.11, gigabit Ethernet, USB), plus HDMI output for audio and video streaming
  • Streams from Mac (running iTunes), PC (running iTunes), or Home Server
  • Remote control via iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad

Nice! Just make the home server solution expandable! With Mac simplicity in mind;)

Server start at $399 for 1Tb $499 for 2Tb and iTunes will find them in the source/device list and prompt "Copy and make Central iTunes Library."

Allowing all AirPort/WiFi enabled devices to 'Home Share' and stream all content.

And when you run out of space, buy another of these boxes, and iTunes will set it up as a remote disk, and pool files as it needs.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I don't see why iTunes can import and encode music but not video.

Because DVDs are "protected" by DRM. CDs are not.

Most of the other common things that have been mentioned plus:

- the ability to enter text from an iphone/itouch/ipad qwerty keyboard.

That already exists. There is a "Remote" app from Apple in the app store.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
fpnc said:
most NAS does itunes streaming
But not directly to the Apple TV, you need iTunes running on a Mac/PC. That was my whole point, a standalone iTunes server that would not require you to be running iTunes on a Mac/PC. If you could connect to a NAS-like device directly from the Apple TV you wouldn't even need another computer and all of these problems about disk expansion to the Apple TV would become a thing of the past.

steviec

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2009
1080p support

Native MKV Support for AppleTV and iPad/Phone (Makes getting those DVD's in really easy)

Maks

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
Personally i would just say one thing,

mac mini

that for me is the ideal apple tv 2
That's what I did; however, I wouldn't mind something similar to the capabilities of a Mini but without the Superdrive so that it'd have the same form factor as the ATV.

I was pretty happy w/the ATV other than the lack of native support for 3rd party apps and external storage.

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Perfect apple Tv has more to do with content than hardware/software, although I would like to see a few changes there also.

A subscription service would be very nice. All you can eat downloads would make me very happy. In HD too would be good.

An app store would make some sense if the hardware were to be upgraded.

I would like to see a processor upgrade so that we can play true 1080p content.

I would also like to be able to add a HD directly to the ATV without having to hack the thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.