Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
I've been updating my iPad with Apps from my home desktop (Mac Pro).

At work today, synced it up to the MBP (my "work" laptop), to get my calendar merged, and when the notification popped up to "sync Apps to this iTunes?" (something like that), I checked No, because I didn't want my 1.75GB Elements stored on my laptop, and the countless other Apps I don't need backed up in two places.

Well, iTunes backed up my iPad (something it seems to be doing constantly), and then when I had access to the iPad again—all Apps were deleted. Including GoodReader, and all the PDFs I'd synced from my Mac Pro to the iPad. And iBooks (w/ all books).

After :mad::mad::mad: a bit (I know I can just go back home and re-sync my Apps, or at the very least re-download them, and re-sync all the PDFs), and re-download all the free books I got from iBooks... I unchecked "sync apps" on my laptop's iTunes.

#@($*()#$&*^~!

You need to do something about this, Apple. For being so user-friendly, "syncing/deleting" all your apps like this shouldn't be so easy to do.

SUMMARY: Do not sync apps to two iTunes, uncheck "sync apps" from one of them in the iTunes preferences. That is, if you don't want your apps backed up in two places.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
This is my #1 pet peeve with Apple right now. For both the pad and iPhone, it's so easy to accidentally erase everything due to the restrictions they place on syncing from more then 1 computer. It really pisses me off that I paid $500 for a device and I can't even copy music, books, or anything to it except when I'm on my home PC...

illy123

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2010
When you sync it with your original computer - hopefully restoring an earlier backup setting will work. If it has already overwritten it then maybe use time machine to get yesterday's (assuming you have it on).

Should be easier then syncing, reordering, etc.

wilycoder

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
You should be able to sync with any computer that has the same itunes account authorized.

c'mon apple....:mad:

soypancho

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
This happened to me. Only sync'd with one computer. 3 days of spreadsheets gone. The back up that was made does NOT contain application info. What's gone is more than likely gone for good. I spoke with Apple support earlier about this. The rep was very helpful, apologetic, and seemed as troubled by the issue as I was. He pushed the case priority as high as he could.

Knowing Apple, we'll get a fix for this very soon. Until then, back up any work you may have done in productivity apps!

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
When you attach the iPad to a different computer right click on the iPad in the device list and select the option to transfer purchases to the new computer. Then the apps will copy over and you can safely sync.

gkrykewy

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2004
When you attach the iPad to a different computer right click on the iPad in the device list and select the option to transfer purchases to the new computer. Then the apps will copy over and you can safely sync.

Yes, this is what I did. Worked like a charm.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA

Wow! Whew! I just got a new iMac I-5 and IM glad I read this! Thanks, worked like a charm. ;)

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY

That's the thing, I don't want the apps to copy over. If I were reformatting or something, sure, but I was referring to a desktop + laptop syncing with my iPad.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Had this same issue. I told it not to sync apps but sync music (which I do quite frequently on my iPhone without issue) and it deleted all the apps anyway.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I haven't synced my iPhone for months on my computer after installing Windows 7, fearing this will happen again. Can't believe how unpredictable this can be.

When I got the computer it had Vista and I made the move back then. Copied my library, apps, from the previous computer (hate you get duplicate apps from every version you had), thought I did everything right from guides. Connected my iPhone, did not allow it to sync right away. I did transfer purchases, authorized what needed to be, every option I could find. When syncing I authorized authorized authorized, but after a while during the sync I noticed it was uninstalling all my apps.

The it was confusing to restore from backup on my old computer. The backup didn't actually reinstall the apps, so I feared I lost my data. Though, first reinstalling the apps I cared about (since I couldn't recall all of them). This time the backup seemed to restore the data for all those apps.

Once I got passed this issue, it was another nightmare when iTunes wanted to install everything I've ever bought or dled for free, ignoring the iPhone's current app install. Nothing to do but make sure the ones I had installed with important data were checked, then uncheck all the stuff I didn't care about.

When a coworker asked for help on a complete restore for his iPhone 3Gs I wanted nothing to do with it. Apple said a glitch where the touch stops responding randomly was software and needed a restore. I told him how screwy it can be and one mistake could be regretful. I'm sure it automatically asks to restore, but if for some reason it doesn't, and starts to auto sync and do a knew back-up, possibly erasing the one you want, argh, too much to worry about.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
When copyright protection goes ANAL! This is why I still buy cd's and never buy digital music. I refuse to support the crapTunes store on the music tip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.