Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

134302-apple-iphone-os4_163_500.jpg

Apple today announced that iBooks, its App Store ebook reader application released for the iPad in the U.S. last week, will be coming to the iPhone and iPod touch as part of iPhone OS 4 later this year. The iPhone version of iBooks will also offer access to the company's iBookstore, a marketplace where users can purchase and download ebook content.

Currently available only in the United States, Apple has been making plans to extend access internationally, a process that is taking some time to execute due to the complexity of geographic distribution deals with publishers.

Article Link: iPhone OS 4 to Bring iBooks to iPhone and iPod Touch

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
iphone is just too small. will be kinda annoying, i think. i have the kindle app and couldn't make it through through the one book i bought. imagine it'll have same issues on iphone.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
iphone is just too small. will be kinda annoying, i think. i have the kindle app and couldn't make it through through the one book i bought. imagine it'll have same issues on iphone.

I am excited about this.
Seeing as I am in Canada, I will prob purchase my ebooks from apple as it will be $2 cheaper than Amazon since i will not be charged international download fees. I still don't understand with Amazon why i'm charged those fees to use my home internet connection to download a book to my Mac! Ridiculous.
I read books on my iPhone currently, when i have the time, either free books on Stanza, or pdfs using Files lite. The iBook app will just be a more elegant solution.

Vintage Season

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
... and will iBooks run on a first-gen iPhone? As a writer, I want to see it fully implemented for every device.

By the way, anyone who wants a free ebook for their iPad (or whatever other ebook device you have, for that matter) is welcome to grab a copy of my free sci-fi short story, "We Don't Plummet Out of the Sky Anymore." :)

- M.

tomatillo

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
And this requires an OS upgrade because...?

I've read dozens of books on the iPhone with Stanza and Kindle. No problem. Seems like the iPad is going to be much more inconvenient to hold and to lug around.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Wow - This will be my FIFTH eBook reader on the iPhone (Kindle, eReader, Stanza, Barnes & Noble, now iBooks). With must less selection.

Very revolutionary:rolleyes:

Tony

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I don't understand why this is only available through OS 4.0.

Isn't it just an app, and couldn't they just load it up on the app store right now and let people download it to their iphone?

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
Bastards. It's pretty ****** that Apple completely copied (and, admittedly, slightly improved) the Classics interface, without giving them any credit or paying for it.

They should have done what they did with Cover Flow and just purchased the app and intellectual property. I'm sure the devs would have accepted $100k, less than a drop in the bucket for Apple.

nkm

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Why

I think this was a dumb idea. I usually side with apple but his one was just a bad one. I normally hate reading articles on my iPhone like from the nytimes app I couldn't even imagine reading a book. Apple is trying to kill amazon in anyway possible. But I dos remove the need from the amazon kindle app from the iPhone so i can see why they are doing it.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Extremely likely because the application appears to make explicit calls to the new OS 4.0 APIs for scrolling page turning . (the page turn animation is one of the APIs listed on the slideware. http://live.gizmodo.com/page/10/ in the picture right above Job's head "half page curl translation" sounds like the animation you see in iBooks. ) Lots of new software that makes OS 4.0 calls isn't going to work on older operating system.

Isn't it just an app, and couldn't they just load it up on the app store right now and let people download it to their iphone?

Applications run on top of operating systems. Newer operating systems have features that the olders ones don't have. If app is dependent upon the new features then doesn't fly.

Essentially there is stuff they squeezed into iPhone 3.2 for the iPad that is only going to show up on the iPhone for Phone/Touch with the 4.0 release.
Makes lots of sense . 3.2 is going to be superseded by late Fall. It isn't something to release for those platforms.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
... and will iBooks run on a first-gen iPhone? As a writer, I want to see it fully implemented for every device.
Will first-gen iPhone even run iPhone OS 4.0 should be the question.
This was going to come eventually. At some point the first gen phone will get dropped for OS updates. Just like older Macs are dropped for updates.
Multitasking doesn't even make it to the 2nd gen phone. The first gen is ilkely going to get left behind.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
But I dos remove the need from the amazon kindle app from the iPhone so i can see why they are doing it.

If you have Kindle books it doesn't remove the need..... unless you want to buy the book again. ( if just using as free book reader maybe, but there were other choices to Kindle before iBooks. )

Kindle's books are locked in its format and iBooks will be locked in Apple's format. You need the specific readers to unlock them to see the content.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Yeah, this is idiotic, but they have to streamline their product offerings. The pain of attempting to read on an iPhone/iTouch will make people pine for an iPad. Or, you know, a book.

When's iBooks coming to Mac?

Probably around the same time iPhone OS comes to Mac.

It forces people to upgrade to OS 4.0. It's a means to an end, in that sense.

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
I hope this isnt going to be a default app in the new OS. I don't read books and have no interest in this app and since you can't remove the default apps, I would hate to see this stuck on one of my pages.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
I hope this isnt going to be a default app in the new OS. I don't read books and have no interest in this app and since you can't remove the default apps, I would hate to see this stuck on one of my pages.

Whatever. Stocks, Compass, and Voice Memos have a new friend now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.