Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmcclain145

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hey guys, I have what might be a simple question to you guys, but I'm a little new to Mac computers so bear with me.

I have a 13" MacBook Pro unibody 2009 model. I want to do a backup via TimeMachine because I'm upgrading to a 15" MacBook Pro unibody 2009 model.

My question is will all my applications backup and transfer to the new machine? I have CS4, Office 2008, Parallels with windows 7 ultimate, Toast 10, and somemore applications I don't want to lose.

I've been told because the hardware configurations are different (ie chipsets, GPU's ect) that the backup can only be restored on a MacBook of same specs.

That did come from someone with experience primarly in Windows PC's.

My mac has these specs:
500gb HD 7200rpm
4gb ram
2.26ghz

15" specs:
320gb HD
4gb ram
2.8ghz

Again the question in this story like paragraph is if I do a TimeMachine backup on my 13" MacBook Pro can I transfer that backup (and in doing so all my apps iTunes library and EVERYTHING) to my new 15" MacBook Pro?

Thanks so much in advance!

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA
Hey guys, I have what might be a simple question to you guys, but I'm a little new to Mac computers so bear with me.

I have a 13" MacBook Pro unibody 2009 model. I want to do a backup via TimeMachine because I'm upgrading to a 15" MacBook Pro unibody 2009 model.

My question is will all my applications backup and transfer to the new machine? I have CS4, Office 2008, Parallels with windows 7 ultimate, Toast 10, and somemore applications I don't want to lose.

I've been told because the hardware configurations are different (ie chipsets, GPU's ect) that the backup can only be restored on a MacBook of same specs.

That did come from someone with experience primarly in Windows PC's.

My mac has these specs:
500gb HD 7200rpm
4gb ram
2.26ghz

15" specs:
320gb HD
4gb ram
2.8ghz

Again the question in this story like paragraph is if I do a TimeMachine backup on my 13" MacBook Pro can I transfer that backup (and in doing so all my apps iTunes library and EVERYTHING) to my new 15" MacBook Pro?

Thanks so much in advance!

Yessir. Thati's what it's designed for. You can just use the migration assistant when you get your new mac to transfer everything from your time machine backup.

jmcclain145

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Yessir. Thati's what it's designed for. You can just use the migration assistant when you get your new mac to transfer everything from your time machine backup.

Ok just to verify my programs/applications, my iTunes library, essentialy a re-image of my 13" will transfer to the 15" I get?

If so that's great!

grodgers

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Ok just to verify my programs/applications, my iTunes library, essentialy a re-image of my 13" will transfer to the 15" I get?

If so that's great!

I use time machine to a time capsule. About 4 days ago, I did a backup (it was short), shut the machine down, pulled my 250GB drive out, dropped a brandy-new 500GB drive in, powered it up, stuck the snow leopard disc in the optical drive, held 'C' while it booted from the DVD and told it "Restore from backup" - it found my time capsule (I *DID* use cabled ethernet), found my backup, and about 2 hours later, it shut down and rebooted from the new hard drive.

Yes, it's all there. I love Time Machine ;) :)

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA

If so that's great!

Yup. Everything will be there. Everything. The only thing you have to do is run Software Update until it has no more new updates.

jonpwnz

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2009
Seattle, WA

OK, now I have a question.

what will happen to the applications on the old macbook? for example if I wanted to sell my macbook pro. will the new owner still be able to use my applications( like final cut ect) how does that work?

do the time machines and computer identity go along side with the snow leopard disk you used? meaning somekind of conflict will arise when we both use our identical macbooks???

jmcclain145

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
OK, now I have a question.

what will happen to the applications on the old macbook? for example if I wanted to sell my macbook pro. will the new owner still be able to use my applications( like final cut ect) how does that work?

do the time machines and computer identity go along side with the snow leopard disk you used? meaning somekind of conflict will arise when we both use our identical macbooks???

When I did the time machine restore on my new mac it told me the same backup couldnt be used on the old mac.

The apps however can be used on the old mac still. Really no conflict.

irwinm

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
this is somewhat related as I've had to do this twice now in the last 3 weeks - when you use migration assistant from another computer or directly from a time machine backup, for some reason my Parallels installations do not get copied over correctly. Both times I've done it I've lost the disk images and had to completely reinstall everything (not a convenient process with Vista that has about 2 zillion updates since my installation disk).

Does anyone have a suggestion on using a time machine backup to restore a system without losing Parallels disk images?

jmcclain145

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
this is somewhat related as I've had to do this twice now in the last 3 weeks - when you use migration assistant from another computer or directly from a time machine backup, for some reason my Parallels installations do not get copied over correctly. Both times I've done it I've lost the disk images and had to completely reinstall everything (not a convenient process with Vista that has about 2 zillion updates since my installation disk).

Does anyone have a suggestion on using a time machine backup to restore a system without losing Parallels disk images?

Parallels is working fine after my time machine restore. It was via migration asisstant. Don't forget to re-partion bootcamp. I'm using windows 7 but it shouldn't make a difference.

Krad3130

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Winter Park, FL
Need Help!!

I recently exchanged my MBP (Bought 1 month ago) for the new MBP 15 inch i5 Base model ($1,799). My problem is I can't restore my old files from my time machine to the new MBP. It isn't showing up for me to restore using migration assistant.

When I try to drag the folder to my desktop or anywhere on my computer it tells me "The volume has the wrong case sensitivity for backup".

PLEASE HELP!! I need those files!!!

jmcclain145

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I recently exchanged my MBP (Bought 1 month ago) for the new MBP 15 inch i5 Base model ($1,799). My problem is I can't restore my old files from my time machine to the new MBP. It isn't showing up for me to restore using migration assistant.

When I try to drag the folder to my desktop or anywhere on my computer it tells me "The volume has the wrong case sensitivity for backup".

PLEASE HELP!! I need those files!!!

You shouldn't have to drag and drop anything. When I went through migration asisstant it loaded everything over automaticly for me. It had check boxes and I checked everything because I wanted everything transfered

Krad3130

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Winter Park, FL
New MBP Time Capsule issue

You shouldn't have to drag and drop anything. When I went through migration asisstant it loaded everything over automaticly for me. It had check boxes and I checked everything because I wanted everything transfered

I didn't originally try to drag and drop the files to my desktop. I tried migration first and it isn't showing up there. I can't access the back up files I had with my other MacBook Pro.

Once I get to the area of "select your disk" it shows my time capsule but all it is saying is connecting. It never shows my back up files from my old MBP.

I am able to open files from the time capsule itself but I can't use migration assistant to transfer the files.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502

If so that's great!

I recently used Time Capsule to restore to a new hard drive after the original drive in my 6-month-old MBP went belly up. Everything came over fine, with the exception of print drivers. Had to rebuild all of them (still in 10.5.8), which in the end, was a blessing. Finally cleared out a pesky file that had been messing with one of the Epsons on my wireless network.

jmcclain145

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I recently used Time Capsule to restore to a new hard drive after the original drive in my 6-month-old MBP went belly up. Everything came over fine, with the exception of print drivers. Had to rebuild all of them (still in 10.5.8), which in the end, was a blessing. Finally cleared out a pesky file that had been messing with one of the Epsons on my wireless network.

Yeah same for me, I went from a 2009 13" Pro to a 2009 15" pro and all was well. Maybe the backups corrupted.

Off topic a bit, did you go to a Apple store to get the i5 15"? I sold my 15" today and want a i5 model. Also id you have the option in store to get the higher res screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.