Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duffinator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
130 miles NE of Cupertino
I have an ATV that I use exclusively for streaming music (and music videos) to a dedicated stereo system. I purchased it used almost two years ago and it has had an issue rebooting after a few hours since I purchased it. Recently it reboots much quicker after turning it on and multiple times. I have a 40 GB model connected to a LAN. I also have another ATV in my HT that has no issues streaming the same content and it never reboots. Both are connected to the same switch so I'm pretty sure the issue is in the ATV and not elsewhere.

When I turn it on it works properly and I have no issues streaming any content. Then, regardless if I'm streaming content or it's sitting static, it will freeze up. After several minutes it reboots. During this process the light blinks and I can hear the hdd. After the reboot the select language screen comes up. After selecting English the recovery screen comes up with Restart, Run Diagnostics, or Factory Restore options. I've tried all three and I'm running the latest Apple software. No outside software or external hdd is connected. I'm using the HDMI out to an Apple Cinema display and use the optical out to a DAC. I've also tried using music files stored on the hdd and the same thing happens.

Any idea if this is the hdd acting up or something wrong with a board inside?

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
If you've already tried a factory restore there is very little else you can do. Does it eventually reboot even if you haven't streamed anything to the unit itself?

Duffinator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
If you've already tried a factory restore there is very little else you can do. Does it eventually reboot even if you haven't streamed anything to the unit itself?
Thanks, I've done a couple of restores. Yes it will reboot.

Any idea if it's the hdd or some other hardware issue? I can replace the hdd is that's the problem and that's what I'm trying to determine.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
When I turn it on it works properly and I have no issues streaming any content. Then, regardless if I'm streaming content or it's sitting static, it will freeze up. After several minutes it reboots. During this process the light blinks and I can hear the hdd. After the reboot the select language screen comes up. After selecting English the recovery screen comes up with Restart, Run Diagnostics, or Factory Restore options. I've tried all three and I'm running the latest Apple software. No outside software or external hdd is connected. I'm using the HDMI out to an Apple Cinema display and use the optical out to a DAC. I've also tried using music files stored on the hdd and the same thing happens.

Any idea if this is the hdd acting up or something wrong with a board inside?

I was having a similar problem with my aTV connected via HDMI to a 50" plasma. It was incredibly frustrating to unplug/replug the danged thing every time I wanted to watch something.

I read somewhere - maybe on these forums - about an HDCP handshake issue with using HDMI @ 1080i causing the freeze and making a reboot necessary.

I backed my aTV down to 720p and it's been flawless ever since.

Duffinator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Thanks. I'm familiar with the HDMI handshake issue and this is not it. I'm using the 720P resolution.

I did another factory reset last night, the third time in the past month, but I'm not optimistic this is going to solve the problem. Does anyone have any idea if this is hard drive or other hardware related?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.