Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paratel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Somewhere in the US
Okay I have ripped the movie 2012 and now I am having difficultly trying to get the subtitles setting right so when in certain parts of the movie like when they are speaking French, I'll know what the heck they are saying!! It shows them when playing the DVD but not when I handbrake it. Any help would be appreciated!!

REK

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
since you've already encoded it, your best bet would be to download the non-english only subtitle from a site like subscene.com
Then merge it into your encoded file with something like subler

alehel

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
When encoding, go into the subtitles section, select english from the list and then tick all three boxes next to it "Forced Only", "Burned Inn" and "Default". This will burn subtitles for foreign audio into your movie.

If there is more than one subtitles track for english, you will have to watch the DVD in a player like VLC and find out which of them is the one you want, although, they will probably all work.

I do this for every movie I encode. If there isn't any foreign audio in the movie, nothing happens, if there is, I get subtitles. I often encode films that I havn't seen yet, so this extra security is nice to have.

Reactions: SeattleMoose

Paratel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Somewhere in the US
When encoding, go into the subtitles section, select english from the list and then tick all three boxes next to it "Forced Only", "Burned Inn" and "Default". This will burn subtitles for foreign audio into your movie.

If there is more than one subtitles track for english, you will have to watch the DVD in a player like VLC and find out which of them is the one you want, although, they will probably all work.

I do this for every movie I encode. If there isn't any foreign audio in the movie, nothing happens, if there is, I get subtitles. I often encode films that I havn't seen yet, so this extra security is nice to have.

Thanks alehel, That worked perfectly!!!

grantwolsey

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010

I've run into a similar problem. I have ripped my "Iron Man" blu-ray onto my mac via MakeMKV and I assume all the .srt files I need are somewhere within the .mkv file. I'm hoping to get the subtitles for when the terrorists are speaking their language (similar to the "French" problem the OP had) burned into the encode.
The only problem is there is no "list" of subtitles to select when I have the source .mkv file loaded into Handbrake, it just has "none" with a choice of "Foreign Audio Search - bitmap" when I click on the "none" to try and find options, so I guess there are none. Is this indicative of my not loading the .mkv file right for encode? Or is there something wrong with the .mkv itself that's causing it to show there are no subtitles and I'm wrong, the subtitles aren't in there? Thank you

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I've run into a similar problem. I have ripped my "Iron Man" blu-ray onto my mac via MakeMKV and I assume all the .srt files I need are somewhere within the .mkv file. I'm hoping to get the subtitles for when the terrorists are speaking their language (similar to the "French" problem the OP had) burned into the encode.
The only problem is there is no "list" of subtitles to select when I have the source .mkv file loaded into Handbrake, it just has "none" with a choice of "Foreign Audio Search - bitmap" when I click on the "none" to try and find options, so I guess there are none. Is this indicative of my not loading the .mkv file right for encode? Or is there something wrong with the .mkv itself that's causing it to show there are no subtitles and I'm wrong, the subtitles aren't in there? Thank you

Handbrake doesn't support subtitles in mkv files.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
Handbrake doesn't support subtitles in mkv files.

The nightly build have supported subs in MKV files for ages.

There really is no reason to use the latest stable build it's inferior in every way.

You can find the lastest nightlies in the Handbrake forums.

grantwolsey

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010

There really is no reason to use the latest stable build it's inferior in every way.

I was just about to ask that; I heard in another forum the nightly builds supported .mkv files but when I went to the link they put to download it I couldn't find any discernible download links; it was a bunch of crazy links I couldn't make out. Are there any direct links to the latest nightly build that would support .mkv subs?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany

Really? I downloaded the nightly build but still don't see any subtitles. I will check it again.

grantwolsey

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
Any news on where I can find a direct link to the nightly I need? Thank you

I go to where it says to download them, here and it has a ton of options it looks like; I don't know where to click to download the one I need

EDIT: Nevermind; I think I found the right link

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
Yea, the latest nightly build does many new tricks.

Excellent subtitle support now especially for SSA subtitles now you can burn them in and keep the original fonts and positions. Awesome for converting anime.

DTS and AAC 5.1 to AC3 is another fantastic feature for the Apple TV.

grantwolsey

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
That sounds awesome, but I just downloaded the Mac nightly build, installed it, loaded my Iron Man .mkv, but it still has no subtitles in the drop-down. I played the .mkv in VLC Player just to make sure it HAD subs, and it does. What is going wrong? Thanks

grantwolsey

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
Not to make you mad, but I have trouble differentiating subtitle types. So far I've heard .srt, .sup, and now the PGS I take it. I guess trying to take these subtitle files that I just now learned are PGS files out of my blu-ray rip .mkv is a futile endeavor, what ways can I get an "external .srt" as it says in HB to burn in to my encode? I try search engines but all they come up with are ghetto ones that are what looks like loose english translations from foreign-speaking users watching the movie

grantwolsey

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
Thanks BlackMangoTree, there was an interesting part in that post:

1. Decrypt/RIP blu-ray with AnyDVD HD
2. Use MakeMKV to find .mpls containing the actual movie.
3. Use tsdemuxer to demux the PGS subtitle file from movie (this is where you need to know which .mpls file references the movie)
4. Use BDSub2Sup to convert demuxed PGS subtitle file to .srt file - a tedious process
5. Convert AnyDVD HD ripped movie (in BDMV folder) to mkv with MakeMKV
6. Use AudioConverter to convert DTS track to AC3 - if necessary
7. Use Handbrake to convert MakeMKV file to AppleTV format - import .srt file for subtitles.

This process works ok mostly. Main caveat - NO forced subtitles. Minor caveats - spelling errors, word spacing errors. Basically errors of OCR and BDSub2Sup uses during conversion.

I believe this may be the main reason this may not work; like I said the first thing I'm trying to do here is burn FORCED SUBTITLES into the encode, i.e. Iron Man when the foreign dialogue of the terrorists is on.
I can't be the only one who's tried to attempt this on a mac; I'm just wondering where the workflow is that would allow me to successfully complete this WITH forced subs like I need. Can you (or anyone, for that matter) point me towards a source online that can help with that precise goal in mind? (Not that I don't appreciate the link and the advice; I definitely do. I'm just going crazy trying to do this one thing that keeps eluding me)

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Not to make you mad, but I have trouble differentiating subtitle types. So far I've heard .srt, .sup, and now the PGS I take it. I guess trying to take these subtitle files that I just now learned are PGS files out of my blu-ray rip .mkv is a futile endeavor, what ways can I get an "external .srt" as it says in HB to burn in to my encode? I try search engines but all they come up with are ghetto ones that are what looks like loose english translations from foreign-speaking users watching the movie

Ok the 3 main types of subtitles are as follows:-

srt - These are subtitles that are stored in a text file.
vob - These are bitmap image based subtitles that are used on DVD's.
sup - Also known as PGS. These are also bitmap image based subs that are used on Blu-Ray's.

After ripping your Blu-Ray the resulting MKV file will contain sup subtitles, unfortunately Handbrake doesn't support sup subs from a MKV container. However the newer nigthly versions do support vob subs from an MKV container so what you need to do is extract the sup subs from the MKV, convert them to vob subs and then put the new subs back into the MKV file. After that Handbrake will read and encode the vob subs from the MVK.

This tutorial will show you how:-
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16784

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Thanks BlackMangoTree, there was an interesting part in that post:

1. Decrypt/RIP blu-ray with AnyDVD HD
2. Use MakeMKV to find .mpls containing the actual movie.
3. Use tsdemuxer to demux the PGS subtitle file from movie (this is where you need to know which .mpls file references the movie)
4. Use BDSub2Sup to convert demuxed PGS subtitle file to .srt file - a tedious process
5. Convert AnyDVD HD ripped movie (in BDMV folder) to mkv with MakeMKV
6. Use AudioConverter to convert DTS track to AC3 - if necessary
7. Use Handbrake to convert MakeMKV file to AppleTV format - import .srt file for subtitles.

This process works ok mostly. Main caveat - NO forced subtitles. Minor caveats - spelling errors, word spacing errors. Basically errors of OCR and BDSub2Sup uses during conversion.

As far as I know BDSup2Sub(AFAIK BDSub2Sup doesn't exist and it's a spelling error) does not convert any type of subtitles to srt format, it contains no OCR functions at all and I think that tutorial is just wrong.

grantwolsey

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
I hate to say it, but I've been to that post and read through the entire process multiple times, thinking it might be just the thing I'm looking for. I even said "Okay, this is Windows stuff, but hey, I have Fusion; Why don't I install all that stuff on my virtual machine and run the whole thing from there?"

So I DID that, installed Clown_BD and BDSubToSub and all that, and it didn't work; Clown couldn't show the options to "force subs" like it shows in the second image down on that post. It didn't give me any of those options whatsoever. So I was stuck; I figured: "There's got to be an OS X version of this Clown_BD that does exactly what the Windows Program does..." But I haven't found one yet. If I did that, I'm pretty sure I could burn the forced subs into my HandBrake encode in the ingenious way you suggested. Any Mac way on how to extract the forced .sup's out?

grantwolsey

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
As far as I know BDSup2Sub(AFAIK BDSub2Sup doesn't exist and it's a spelling error) does not convert any type of subtitles to srt format, it contains no OCR functions at all and I think that tutorial is just wrong.

You're probably right, but like I said above I never even got past the Clown_BD step of extracting the .sup's I needed to convert, much less getting to the stage of actually converting them with whatever SupToSub or such program was out there.
I refer to my previous question: Are there any programs a Mac user could utilize to get the .sup's out of a blu-ray ripped .mkv? Thank you

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Do you have AnyDVD running? if not rip the Blu-Ray with MakeMKV and open the resulting MKV file with Clown_BD.

If you want to do it nativaly under OSX then try the following(I don't have a MAC so don't know if it will work):-

1. Use MakeMKV to rip Blu-Ray
2. Use MKVToolnix to extract the sup forced subtitle stream
3. Use BDSup2Sub to convert the sup subs from step 2 into vob subs
4. Use MKVToolnix (MKVMerge) to re-mux the vob subs back into the MKV file
5. Encode the file using Handbrake(Nightly version that supports vob subs from an MKV), under the subtitles tab in Handbrake select your new vob subs and check burned-in.

grantwolsey

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
It's actually kind of funny; once I read your steps of what to do I went and downloaded MKVToolnix and BDSuptoSub to immediately see if they'd work. I opened up MKVToolnix and loaded my ripped .mkv file, and it immediately populated the program with all the subtitle options in the .mkv.
Since it wasn't in a 1 thru 11 sequential order like it showed when I played the file in VLC Player I just selected all the subtitle files and set the destination output folder to my desktop and hit "start muxing!" Is that the right way so far? Once this "IronMan (1).mkv" on my desktop is finished will that be what I need to move on converting the subtitle files via BDSuptoSub?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.