Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prabz26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Toronto, Canada
So I've heard about this issue online and some people on here are claiming it to be false. What I want to know is from everyone here who owns an Core i5 or Core i7 new MackBook Pro, have you experienced over heating issues?

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I have a 15" i7 MBP and I've played COD4 for an extended period with no problems. The fans kick in and it shows about 160F as the temp, but no problems at all.

Dcuellar

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
No probs here either. I think those rumors began because of a review which was done on a faulty MacBook Pro. The fan on that particular unit was not kicking in.

Prabz26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Toronto, Canada
so what is a good temperature
because I'd be using the MBP for like uni
so using word, youtube, msn, facebook, itunes at once stuff like that
nothing extensive

you think I'd have problems?

macktool

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
I have the new mbp 15 inch i-5 and it gets extremely hot after only 5min on a hard load. i.e. WoW. I'm seriously thinking about giving it back before this trial period ends. I originally bought it for video editing, FCP. i needed portability and power.

this is my first mac. i love the way it looks and handles. i really like the battery life. i'm a little choked that i waited this long to get burnt.

any advice would be appreciated. (i'm talking about the new i-5 mcb overheating. not a core duo.)

15 inch MBP i-5 2.53g

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
I have the new mbp 15 inch i-5 and it gets extremely hot after only 5min on a hard load. i.e. WoW. I'm seriously thinking about giving it back before this trial period ends. I originally bought it for video editing, FCP. i needed portability and power.

this is my first mac. i love the way it looks and handles. i really like the battery life. i'm a little choked that i waited this long to get burnt.

any advice would be appreciated. (i'm talking about the new i-5 mcb overheating. not a core duo.)

15 inch MBP i-5 2.53g

A lot of people who get their first mac have this reaction to how hot the aluminum gets. Because you haven't used a computer this thin, in this body, and made out of aluminum the heat can be alarming. Maybe post some temps?

paulpet

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006

15 inch MBP i-5 2.53g

I have a 1st gen MBP and am waiting on the arrival of my new i5. But my old macbook pro also got really hot. If I'm using it around the house I put it on this...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TK789ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Nw&mco=MTA4NzU0MDI&s=topSellers

a4209797

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
FalseStamp.gif

macktool

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
A lot of people who get their first mac have this reaction to how hot the aluminum gets. Because you haven't used a computer this thin, in this body, and made out of aluminum the heat can be alarming. Maybe post some temps?

I used an older MBP 15 inch, new at the time, around 06, at a film school. I also used one of the 09 MBP for a month or so from a friend. I did load them down My current MBP gets much hotter. I assume yours is not any hotter then previous models you have owned? do you ever load it down heavily?

As for temps, I don't have a gun. I'm not sure how else to get them.

Please understand, I've used macs before. I'm talking about loading it down, not surfing the net with multiple applications. Of coarse, I am new to this, so don't take anything too serious. I'm not a professional, just a concerned person who is relatively new to mac.

Any advice is most welcome!! i'm scared and don't know what the best option is for me. do i protect my investment and return the mac before the trial period, 14 days, is up? wait a few months for apple to sort this out and then buy another?

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
No problems at all. 15" i7. Love it.

Fans at 2k always.

Temps 50-60C but running Netbeans, Firefox and Illustrator right now.

DreamJ

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
I got no problem with that ...
average temperature is 27-37 C
i din push my mac to max ... maybe that's why :)

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I have not tried computationally intensive applications yet. So far, there is no problem.

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
My i5 runs so much cooler then my old 07 c2d that the possibility to have babys has exponentially increased!:D

macktool

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010

15 inch MBP i-5 2.53g

real quick reply here before i go to bed. after doing some extensive tests i found that this new 2010 mbp i5 2.53g does not go above heat limits when loaded down. my initial presumptions on this overheating were wrong. i hope this clears up any confusion one might have read into my posts.

p.s. i maxed out at 77c after running it a few hours at full throttle

lightworker

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
What are your idle temps people?
My i7 it's always at 40º average...

Speaking bout CPU only.
Right now, xCode on and Firefox, CPU @42-43ºC.

edit:

Ok. I shoot 4 "yes > /dev/null" on the same time.
I've seen this little guy at 101ºC. So its true.
Until it have reached bout 90ºC it doesn't started the fans stronger. But after it, i've seen the fans rise up to 5100 rpm, making temps slow down to 85ºC +/-.
Now it's 49-50ºC.

I cant know the Ambient temps right now... but you see.
What do you think?

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
When I run anything that's intense (like After Effects or Biosphere), the CPU and GPU both reach near 200F. The 17" Core i7 maxes at 196F. The 15" Core i7 maxes at 208F -- according to Hardware Monitor.

According to Hardware Monitor, as long as you stay below 220F, you should be fine.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
So I've heard about this issue online and some people on here are claiming it to be false. What I want to know is from everyone here who owns an Core i5 or Core i7 new MackBook Pro, have you experienced over heating issues?

Nope. Runs almost as cool as my old 13" unibody macbook.

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
Nope. Runs almost as cool as my old 13" unibody macbook.

My MBP 15/2.53/500GB 7200rpm ran much cooler than my unibody MacBook. Fans ran mostly at 1999rpm while browsing while my MacBook is now showing 4711rpm with CPU temp at 69C, running just Mail, Firefox and Skype. :eek:

I'm now waiting for a replacement for my yellow tint screen problem. :)

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
My MBP 15/2.53/500GB 7200rpm ran much cooler than my unibody MacBook. Fans ran mostly at 1999rpm while browsing while my MacBook is now showing 4711rpm with CPU temp at 69C, running just Mail, Firefox and Skype. :eek:

I'm now waiting for a replacement for my yellow tint screen problem. :)

That's not really a valid comparison. Run skype on both computers and you'll see the temps shoot up.

Here are some temps from my core i7 MBP...I've been using it on my lap on battery power for about an hour (temps in Fahrenheit):

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-05-01 at 10.28.38 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-05-01 at 10.28.38 AM.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 8,474

lightworker

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Bout replacement, you know wich one of those cases is?

a) You ask for a replacement, and they come to your house to get your actual MBP while they give you inmediatly a new one.

OR

b) You ask for replacement, and they come to your house, get the actual MBP, go to central, prepare a new one, come back to your house and finally, give the new one?

Wich case?

Cause if it's a), it's amazing! And it could only expend bout 5 days no more.
But if it's b)... that a huge problem, cause I need my Mac for job, and can wait a lot if I decide to exchange it, for anything on those 14 magic days...

Thx! :)

Rhalliwell1

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
If your computer is running it isn't over heating. When they over heat they shut down so no damage is done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.