Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I've had Bible on my iPhone (brown book icon with 'Holy Bible' on it) and it was never an issue because of 3G.

I went ahead and got the iPad without 3G.

So now I wonder which bible app is just as functional, has an NIV option, and does not need an internet connection.

Thanks.

And, yeah, ok, so it wasn't moved .............................. since we STILL DON'T have an iPad specific app subforum.

(but hey there is still a subforum for launch meets)

calvin2006

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Don't know of any with offline NIV option. The ESV Bible HD app has offline ESV. The Bible HD app has offline NKJV. Those are the only two offline apps right now that are free with modern translations. Once Olive Tree's Bible Reader app gets through the approval process (come on Apple hurry up!) you can purchase an offline NIV in their reader. It's really a nice app. I hope it gets approved soon.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Don't know of any with offline NIV option. The ESV Bible HD app has offline ESV. The Bible HD app has offline NKJV. Those are the only two offline apps right now that are free with modern translations. Once Olive Tree's Bible Reader app gets through the approval process (come on Apple hurry up!) you can purchase an offline NIV in their reader. It's really a nice app. I hope it gets approved soon.

That could work nicely

I'll keep an eye out for that

:)

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit

I installed Biblereader for iPhone. It works fine in 2x mode. All the bibles I bought over the years still work. (Palm then Blackberry then iPod Touch and now iPad). If you install Biblereader, I'm pretty sure it will get replaced by a universal app in an upcoming update and you won't need to install it again.

ClaireL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2010
New Jersey
I have the ESV Bible and Bible HD but that one does require internet.

You also got my hopes up with the subject line! I was like Lawd have mercy, you mean they finally gave us a separate iPad app subforum???!!! :eek: lol only to discover....nope :(

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
Why not just download the free KJV from the iBook store and use it in iBooks?

Indydenny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Midwest
I think that I have tried all of the Bible programs. There are several good ones that are made for the iPad and offer the NIV. The most expensive and the most impressive is the Mantis Study Bible. As you learn to use it, it is amazing with many types or study helps and features.

Also, Acrobible is good and offers the NIV translation (as well as it others). It isn't as full featured but very adequate. Let me know if you have specific questions. (the Olive Tree Bible package should be available soon as well).

Here is the link to Mantis.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/mantis-bible-company/id286041917

Acrobible
http://itunes.apple.com/us/genre/mobile-software-applications/id6006?mt=8

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I have used Laridian Bible Software for many years on my Palm, Pocket PC, iPhone, etc. There program is called Pocket Bible and I highly recommend it. They have a ton of Bibles and other reference material for the program as well.

According to their blog they are close to releasing a version for the iPad.

I hope this helps.

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
I've had Bible on my iPhone (brown book icon with 'Holy Bible' on it) and it was never an issue because of 3G.

I went ahead and got the iPad without 3G.

So now I wonder which bible app is just as functional, has an NIV option, and does not need an internet connection.

You can download serveral versions for free in that app for offline reading (go to settings, then offline reading), but I don't think it allows you to download the NIV though. However, it does have some other good offline versions such as the NLT, NCV, NKJ, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.