Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

espndeportes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm about to buy a mac mini and build a home theater. I've decided to use plex mainly, but unfortunately I don't think hulu is working on it right now. Not a biggie though, because hulu desktop is pretty slick.

However, I haven't been able to get the apple remote to work with both. My plan is to run plex for most things and even tv shows that you can't get through hulu desktop (daily show, southpark). Then, i was going to add hulu desktop as an app and launch it directly from plex.

However, I can't seem to get the apple remote to work once hulu desktop opens. I was really trying to get this to be simple and not have to have a mouse or keyboard or fancy remote to use the home theater.

So is it possible to do this?

Thanks!

Edit: Hulu appears to work, but not when you click "my hulu."

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
The Daily Show and South Park are available as separate plug-ins for Plex. Daily Show isn't on Hulu anymore.

espndeportes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Yeah, I saw those and they're really nice.

I guess the other thing to do would be to search the individual hulu show and then add it as a favorite to plex. Maybe that way I wouldn't have to run hulu desktop

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
"My Hulu" is working just fine for me. Make sure your user name and password have been entered under the Preferences Tab of the Hulu Plex plug-in and you should be fine.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
If the only problem you're having is the remote, you could look at remote buddy it is a paid application, but there is a 30 day trial available, before you buy. (i mention that, so you don't buy it and then scream about how it's useless like someone else did here recently)

that way no matter what program you're running, remote buddy always handles the remote. this i what i do and i've never had a problem.

You can also use a wii-mote (connects to the mini's bluetooth), to get more buttons. and with a sensor bar you can have it act like a mouse as you point it at the screen.(either buy one, or make one, it's just some IR LEDs, with a little know-how, you can make on that plugs into your usb port.)

espndeportes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
If the only problem you're having is the remote, you could look at remote buddy it is a paid application, but there is a 30 day trial available, before you buy. (i mention that, so you don't buy it and then scream about how it's useless like someone else did here recently)

that way no matter what program you're running, remote buddy always handles the remote. this i what i do and i've never had a problem.

You can also use a wii-mote (connects to the mini's bluetooth), to get more buttons. and with a sensor bar you can have it act like a mouse as you point it at the screen.(either buy one, or make one, it's just some IR LEDs, with a little know-how, you can make on that plugs into your usb port.)

Ha, thats funny, I didn't see your post but was gonna say that remote buddy solved everything. Its great, now I can run front row, plex, and hulu desktop just with the apple remote. Its just about as easy as a HTPC can be, IMO.

Great product, remote buddy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.