Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
Hey Guys,
Finally got 1.5mbit broadband internet in my flat, and have set up a nice home network. Have the cablemodem -> 4point router -> wireless access point.

We have three windows machines, and my powerbook. Each computer connects perfectly to the router/wireless station and is automatically assigned its IP address. The problem is that none of the machines can see the other ones -- for printer/file sharing.

Any ideas why?

Andy.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Just to check - they are all assigned IP addresses in the same subnet, right> That is, they're all something like 192.168.1.xxx. If they aren't, then they probably won't see each other.

Are they all going through wireless, or some wired and some wireless? It shouldn't matter, depending on how the access point is set up, but it could be an issue.

Finally, which device is set up to share files - all of them, or just one or two? Also, I don't know if a Windows box can see a Mac-shared printer or vice-versa.

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
yeah, they are all local 192.168.x.x addresses. I've managed to connect to my powerbook from one of the windows machines, but not vice-versa. I'll keep trying.

Andy.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
nesbitt_a said:
yeah, they are all local 192.168.x.x addresses. I've managed to connect to my powerbook from one of the windows machines, but not vice-versa. I'll keep trying.

Andy.

If you have file sharing active on the PC, try going to Connect to Server on the Mac (command-K) and entering "smb://192.168.x.x" This should bring up a dialog for you to login and subsequently choose which share to mount.

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
LAN sharing

My flatmate has been automatically assigned the IP address, 192.168.0.100, and typing smb://192.168.0.100 just seems to time out, as if it's not seeing Rob's machine at all. I have enabled sharing on his 'My Music' folder, but am not seeing the connection.

Andy.

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
I have enabled 'share this folder' -- I dont even know if there's an option in windows. Why didnt he get a mac!!

Andy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.