Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
STORY

Heavy rock singer Ronnie James Dio dies at 67
Dio had been suffering from stomach cancer

American heavy rock singer Ronnie James Dio, who replaced Ozzy Osbourne in Black Sabbath, has died at the age of 67, his wife has said.

Before joining Black Sabbath he sang in Rainbow - formed when Ritchie Blackmore left Deep Purple - and later in Heaven & Hell and Dio.

Dio's wife Wendy said on her husband's website: "Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever."

Thank you, Ronnie.

/me raises devil horns high

BL.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

AP is quoting his wife and manager in their obit.

2bae266d6504f3804da9559e43ad2a78.jpg

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
I got to see him open for Iron Maiden a few years ago. He was awesome.

Every interview I've ever seen with him, he was a nice, polite and thoughtful person.

For a little guy, he was one of the biggest people in metal.

A big loss.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
"Holy Diver" is still one of the great nonsensical metal songs of all time. I've heard it a hundred times and I'm still not sure what it's about, but all the vocals just sound great.

Also, Rainbow's biggest hit, "Man On A Silver Mountain" is awesome. What a great guitar riff.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
The grand father is gone all we have left is the God father, the metal God, and Just God I propose we recarve MT rushmore with the likenesses of Ozzy Halford Lemmy and Dio in their honor

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I saw him with Rainbow, Sabbath and Dio. Great voice and came across as a decent guy. RIP. :(

Got to see him with Sabbath as well on the Heaven and Hell and the Mob Rules tours back in the 80s and once with his own band sometime later in the 80s. Never saw him since and didn't go to the Heaven and Hell tour a few years ago, wish I would have now.

I think Sabbath were at their best when Dio was the man. They truly made my life as a teen much easier having their music to occupy my time with back then.

I actually cried last night at the news. I haven't done that over a band member dying ever. I'll miss him.

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
I thought it was fake until I heard Ozzy Osbourne complementing him and saying what a loss it was.

He seemed in such good health... I'm very sad by it but I hope he is a peace. I love his music and have been trying to listen to it more. Everyone at school thinks I'm weird for liking that music (most kids my age are into Disney music) but I always tell them to shove it up the nose with a garden hose. I was really looking forward to Magica II & III. My dad was too.

R.I.P

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Some of my fondest memories of my teen years were drinking beer and listening to Dio in my buddy's '68 Mustang. Sadly now both of them are gone.

RIP Dio. Your many, many fans thank you for everything you gave us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.