Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I bought an apple airport extreme station to use with my current at & t ADSL modem (it is specifically the speedstream 5100 model) with my at & t service. I was trying to hook it up to the modem & the PC located in the kitchen (it is a dell with windows XP home edition service pack 2) but it did not work very well. when I hooked everything up, & tried to open the airport utility to configure I got this message;

-4 an error occurred while trying to access your apple wireless device. Make sure your network connection is valid & try again.

It seemed it was connected, I was getting a wifi signal with my TP link usb adapter. I could use my ipod touch wirelessly with it.

I went through various forums, & was told to put my modem in bridge mode. This was a disaster, I lost all my internet access altogether, & I could not get into the interface of the modem to get back into the internet, I had to call at & t tech support to reset it & get back the internet.

I got it because I wanted to be able to use it with a macbook pro, in another room, the PC is in the kitchen, & it is distracting while doing my online classes.

are apple routers compatable with at & t ADSL service.

In the other forums where I described my problem, I was told I needed an ADSL router gateway &

I also found this; http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-GT7...reless/dp/B0018CJ9LA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

will this work with a macbook pro?

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Is your ADSL modem also a router? And if so, have you tried running the Extreme in bridge mode (rather than the AT&T modem)?

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
trouble setting up apple airport extreme with speed stream 5100 & at & t ADSL service

Is your ADSL modem also a router? And if so, have you tried running the Extreme in bridge mode (rather than the AT&T modem)?

I guess it is, I looked up it's manual PDF document & it is referred to as a router. Mine is the speedstream 5100 model, it only has one Ethernet port & one phone jack port.

I dont know about setting up the airport in bridge mode, I cannot get into the airport utility interface to make a adjustments to it's settings, the airport shows up but that is it, I cannot get any further to make any setting adjustments; I get the -4 error message; an error occurred while trying to access the apple wireless device, make sure your network connection is valid & try again.

I would like try be able to adjust the apple device & leave the speedstream modem router alone.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Have you tried disabling your WiFi on your computer and connecting directly to the AEBS via a wired connection? You'll be able to go into AirPort Utility and set up the Extreme that way, then when it's set up properly you can disconnect the PC and reboot the Extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.