Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cologero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
I been searching the net for an answer but everything requires to buy something. I have my original hard drive of 140 GB and just bought a new one thats 1TB. I want to transfer my applications from the 140 to the 1TB. Is there a simple way of doing this, please help thank you.

Cologero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Its a Power Mac G5 and the old one is a Serial-ATA and the new one is SATA

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
plug the new HD in the 2nd drive bay plug it all in, use something like carbon copy cloner to copy the boot drive over to the new drive, change the boot drive pref in system preferences reboot and hey presto ;)

Cologero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
I just dont have a copy of Mac OS X, so will it copy over everything to the new harddrive, including the Mac OS X?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I just dont have a copy of Mac OS X, so will it copy over everything to the new harddrive, including the Mac OS X?

hhmmm. you might have to get some sort of cloning program (carbon copy cloner etc) as it can copy from the drive you are booted into currently (boot into your 140GB, run carbon copy cloner to directly copy everything to the new one).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.