Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkswat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2010
I'm a big fan of FF and use it when I surf on all my computers. Did a search and didn't find this yet, but if it's a d/p sorry.

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2010/05/26/firefox-home-coming-soon-to-the-iphone/

"The Mozilla Blog
News, notes and ramblings from the Mozilla project
Firefox Home Coming Soon to the iPhone

We have been working on an application for the iPhone based on the Firefox Sync (formerly Weave Sync) technology. The app is called Firefox Home, and it gives iPhone users instant access to their Firefox browsing history, bookmarks and the set of tabs from their most recent browser session. What’s more, it provides Firefox “Awesome Bar” capability that enables people to get to their favorite web sites with minimal typing.

Firefox Home provides an amazing “get up and go” experience. It’s encrypted end-to-end. It’s your home on the Web, wherever you are. And, of course, it’s free.

Firefox Home for iPhone is part of a broader Mozilla effort to provide a more personal Web experience with more user control. For devices or platforms where we’re unable to provide the “full” Firefox browser (either technically or due to policy), we aim to provide users with “on the go” instant access to their personal Firefox history, bookmarks and open tabs on their iPhones, giving them another reason to keep loving Firefox on their desktops.

Why is this useful?

1. Left work in a hurry? You can pick up where you left off with access to the list of tabs you just had open on your desktop.
2. Need those directions to that restaurant you were just reading about on your desktop? The confirmation code for your flight? Just start typing in the Awesome Bar and those pages will be right at your fingertips.
3. Does it drive you crazy to have to enter the full URL on your iPhone that you’ve visited several times from your desktop? You won’t need to anymore with this app.

Check out a preliminary, non-branded sneak peek of Firefox Home in action.

There will be more to come as we polish this off and submit it to the App Store.

If you want more information, or want to help out, the project information is here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/firefoxhome"

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So basically, is the idea that this isn't the Firefox browser in the sense that it doesn't use the Gecko engine, but rather it uses the Webkit engine as it's available for apps, and it adds on some xmarks sort of functions that allow a user to see the same tabset and bookmarks that they have on their desktop?

It's not a bad idea, although it doesn't really move me, either. Having better bookmark synchronization for Safari would be nice, though. I've become spoiled by xmarks in FF (which I don't use much anymore) and the built-in synchronization of themes and bookmarks in Chrome, and it would be nice if bookmarks I added to my computer at home showed up on my iPhone without having to sync my iPhone (slash at all, since iTunes for Windows doesn't sync Chrome bookmarks anyways, AFAIK).

Less sure about tabs -- even though I use Chrome on both the computer that's connected to my TV and my netbook at the same time, in the evening, I expressly don't need the same tabset on them.

rkswat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Now on the front page, of course this is the first time I have ever and will ever say this but.....

First :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.