Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

birdhouse1575

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Maxtor

I've had a 30GB Maxtor hard drive in this powermac. I've been able to install Mac OS 8.6 and it worked perfectly, but when I install Tiger, I get passed the first CD and it reboots to either: an apple logo, no spinning circle, then a black box over the apple; -or- the apple logo and spinning circle which doesn't go away; -or- the apple logo and spinning circle, and then a bunch of lines of text are displayed on the screen.

So every one of my attempts to install Tiger results in a kernel panic, except the first, which I was able to install successfully with both discs, setup my account and got to my OS X desktop... then the computer shut down, I turned it on again, and the kernel panic message displayed over the apple logo.

Western Digital

I also have a 80GB Western Digital drive. When I try to install either OS 8.6 or Tiger, the installer always results in some variation of the "Please try installing again" message. Basically, it doesn't work. For what reason, again, I have no clue.

edit: Disk Utility brings up that this drive, when attempted to be repaired: "Volume Bit Map needs minor repair".

What I've done so far...

- Formatted these drives with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formats multiple times, trying both one partition and two.
- Zapped PRAM.
- Open firmware and reset-nvram, set-defaults, and reset-all.

I doubt those last two did anything, but still did them nonetheless.

This has been killing me for days.
Any advice please?

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Do you have the beige G3 tower or the blue and white? Tiger will not install on a beige without some extra help with xpostfacto.

Another note.. from past experience with WD drives on powermac G3's. Use the "single" jumper setting if you have just one on the bus ever. For some reason they get data corruption when simply set to master without a slave. Thats the experience myself and a few others had on both beaige and blue and white when I looked for help back then which was around 99.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
It's been a while, but I think there was a firmware update or something for the B&Ws for OS X with 8.6

I could be mistaken though, but try googling around

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
It's been a while, but I think there was a firmware update or something for the B&Ws for OS X with 8.6

I could be mistaken though, but try googling around

Good point.

Check system profiler and be sure you're running version 1.1 of the B&W firmware. It's a must do for any version of OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.