Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maury

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Hey ritsuka. I've been using Subtler a little and I have some suggestions.

1) When you open a file, you get the full "open dialog" window, allowing me to navigate around and even drag files out of the Finder into it. But when I Save, I don't get to do anything other than change the name. Save should, if the path has not yet been set, open the full "save dialog".

2) The Format column should include additional information. In the case of H.264 should say "Normal profile" or such. The resolution of the video track is also very useful!

3) In the tracks display, there should be an additional column called "Compatibility" that tells the user if the track will work on a device of their choice. For instance, if the video track is encoded in High Profile it won't work on a lot of devices, and should say something like "incompatible" or "unlikely to work" in red or yellow. The user could select the target device from a pop-up and set one in their Preferences so it comes up that way.

(3) is very important - a saving a file out of Subtler takes a while and has little feedback. Nothing is more annoying that waiting for it to complete only to find out it didn't work! I think this change would really help, and doesn't seem that difficult.

In my own experience, it's the sound that causes problems more than the video (YMMV). In these cases, an FAQ entry might be the best way to deal with this.

BTW, can someone point me to a document stating exactly what the differences between MOV and m4v are, and why I would ever want to use one vs. the other?

Maury

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.