Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I have my contacts in Gmail organised into groups.

Family
Shops
Work
Emergency

That kind of thing.

On the iPad I have set up Gmail to sync with the device, and also to sync the contacts also.

Only problem is that it has not created the groups on the iPad, only one long mixed up alphabetical list of my contacts.

Can anyone please explain what I need to do, in order to get the same groups synced across.

This I all did from within my Gmail Account settings on the iPad and had not touched the SYNC options in iTunes.

So, I thought I WOULD try the SYNC option in iTunes, told it to sync with Google Contacts, but it came up with no categories to select from, just "All Contacts" so I tried anyway, and now on my iPad I have two long list of the same contacts and still no groups.

I see it also will sync with outlook (in the iTunes settings) so I selected that, and again, it shows no groups to select from.

I'm not going to say ok to this as I don't want to end up with the same contacts three times on my iPad.

So...............

How can I create contact groups on my iPad from a PC ?

Do I need some other PC software perhaps ?

As I say, currently I have my contacts arranged within groups in both Gmail and Outlook, but neither seem to sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.