Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxjonoxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I was looking at all the pictures engadget took for this news story and it seems like to me the black version seems to look better on the front screen due to the sensors and screen blending in with the body.. but after looking at these pictures, it seems the black version is a really easy target for fingerprints.

Black

White

But hey, maybe they cleaned the white version before they took the pictures? Anyone got a better example than this?

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
I was looking at all the pictures engadget took for this news story and it seems like to me the black version seems to look better on the front screen due to the sensors and screen blending in with the body.. but after looking at these pictures, it seems the black version is a really easy target for fingerprints.

Black

White

But hey, maybe they cleaned the white version before they took the pictures? Anyone got a better example than this?

idk, but i didn't mind the white 3g/3gs, but personally i think the white iphone 4 is butt ugly with that extra grill (ithink for the sensors)

But everyone has their own opinion.. so idk, i love the black one

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
The white probably won't show them as much as the black. It's going to be tough to decide what to get. I really dislike the front of the white, but the back looks nice.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007

Black

White

This is my exact dilemma. White front looks goofy and black back looks nasty.... Right now I'm leaning towards white because I think a lot of the issue with the front is just that it looks different from the iPhones I've had the last 3 years.

xxjonoxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
idk, but i didn't mind the white 3g/3gs, but personally i think the white iphone 4 is butt ugly with that extra grill (ithink for the sensors)

But everyone has their own opinion.. so idk, i love the black one

The black one is almost my favorite so far, but if the black is a magnet for dirty and smudges, I'm not looking forward to cleaning it 20 times a day, lol.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
The black one is almost my favorite so far, but if the black is a magnet for dirty and smudges, I'm not looking forward to cleaning it 20 times a day, lol.

I've found if you keep your hands clean and not oily, its actually prett easy not to make any smudges...

But i'll look at them closely at the store but i hate the white front of the phone, even if that funky grill wasn't their, i hate the fact that its white and black (screen)

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Wow, the white iPhone looks so slick and sexy. I think I just made my final choice.

Sorry for hijacking your thread; does anyone know which iPhone will look nicer (as in "newer") after a year of moderate use? Ta.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Wow, the white iPhone looks so slick and sexy. I think I just made my final choice.

Sorry for hijacking your thread; does anyone know which iPhone will look nicer (as in newer) after a year of moderate use? Ta.

well, while the black one will show more smudges (that can easily be wiped off) the white over time will show more dirtyness... like picture a dirty white car... it looks awfull.. that being said, the glass on the new phones probably won't pick up any lasting dirt or grime or yellowing, and if it does it can probably be cleaned with a good carefull bath :) just i wouldn't actualy put it in water

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
well, while the black one will show more smudges (that can easily be wiped off) the white over time will show more dirtyness... like picture a dirty white car... it looks awfull.. that being said, the glass on the new phones probably won't pick up any lasting dirt or grime or yellowing, and if it does it can probably be cleaned with a good carefull bath :) just i wouldn't actualy put it in water
Which iPhone do you think scratches will be more visible on? I'm not worried about smudges/dirt.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Which iPhone do you think scratches will be more visible on? I'm not worried about smudges/dirt.

hmm, well the thing is from the video, i kind of got the idea that the glass they were using is pretty damn good.... almost unscratchable :)

But that may not be the case

i'm actually not sure... becuase the scratch would be on glass, not the black or white coating... might have to ask someone else...

the lighter color of the white may becuase its obviously brighter than the black make it harder to see the scratches if you had any...

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Someone forgot to wipe the mayonnaise off before they started pawing that black one.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
I'm still torn between both. White looks cheap, but I said that with the 3GS last year and picked the white one. I have to see it in person.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
yeah. people said the same thing about the 3G when it came out...fingerprint magnet...oh no! a week later everyone had a case.
I dumped my case a week after getting my 3G, and I never used one for my 3GS. I won't use one for the iPhone 4 either.

I think I will be ordering the white. The initial impression is that it looks odd, but I think that is a function of familiarity. After a few views on various websites, I now think the white looks better.

/Jim

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I'm kind of lean in toward white cause it stands out from the older iPhones and it could look good with apples bumper case thing

Screwtape

macrumors regular
May 10, 2009
I find the white iPhone 4 to be incredibly ugly, so I'll take the fingerprints in exchange for the sexy beast that is the black iPhone 4.

madbad01

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
I really wish Apple left the front of the white iPhone black like the 3G and the 3GS. The white front just doesn't do it for me... and the screen looks so much better when surrounded by black.
I've always been super gung ho white for iPhones and back before that, iPods. But for the first time I'm reconsidering the white...

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
I really wish Apple left the front of the white iPhone black like the 3G and the 3GS. The white front just doesn't do it for me... and the screen looks so much better when surrounded by black.
I've always been super gung ho white for iPhones and back before that, iPods. But for the first time I'm reconsidering the white...

You're right. The white front looks...weird.

Bailey2323

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
This is the hardest decision i've ever made over a phone. Apple should have made it black in the front white in the back. the white on the front looks cheap but the white on the back looks so nice and right now im leaning towards the black but i think ill end of with white.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.