Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

midnight14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Hi,
as in the title it takes more than half a minute whine shutting down. altho I have deleted all the history and caches and cookies, but NO changes

please someone help me as soon as possible.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
History, cache and cookies would have zero effect on the shutdown process. It's likely a particular app is slow to close. Try closing all apps before you shut down and see what happens.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
thank you for your quick respond
I always close all apps before shutting down but the same story

Then after you close all apps, launch Activity Monitor and see what's still running. Be sure to select "All Processes" at the top, instead of "My Processes".

chalmersman

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
me too

hey,
First of all, I've just converted to mac and I'm really enjoying my new MBP. I'm exploring OSx and until this thread I didn't know about Activity Monitor, so thats awesome.

My problem follows on midnights problem, which it seems he's ok on as he hasn't posted in awhile.

When I started out, my shutdown was 3 seconds, it was crazy. I was showing people who still use Windows just to piss them off, it was great.

Now, its taking like 10-15 seconds. (OK, I really should not be complaining, but I want to know whats changed) I installed Parellels Desktop and a few other programs, but having looked at the Activity Monitor, there wasn't anything hogging resources.

So is it inevitable that things will slow down from the miraculous 2-3 seconds?

Thanks in advance for any help:)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was showing people who still use Windows just to piss them off, it was great.
Frequently, trying to brag or irritate people will backfire on you. It's best to just enjoy your Mac and let Windows users enjoy what they have.
Now, its taking like 10-15 seconds.
You might have a particular app that is slow in shutting down. Try closing all apps before shutting down and see what happens.

chalmersman

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
hey thanks for the quick reply, I wasn't really pissing people off, just goofing.

Yeah I do shut down all apps before shutting down. Still takes longer. Anything in particular in the Activity Monitor I should look at.

midnight14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2010
Saudi Arabia
hey thanks for the quick reply, I wasn't really pissing people off, just goofing.

Yeah I do shut down all apps before shutting down. Still takes longer. Anything in particular in the Activity Monitor I should look at.

yes this is what I wont exactly ask about.

thanks for your question ^ _ ^

chalmersman

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
Ok good, so you didn't resolve your problem either?

Does anyone know, is there a next step I can take?

clops

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
Vienna, Austria
I was sooooo proud of my new MBP 13'' with an intel ssd. It boots up completely in just bout 9 seconds, yet takes about 30 to shut down.

I have managed to localize the problem, however, it is the Orbicule Undercover application, that I have setup in case my mac gets stolen. Once removed, everything went back to normal. However, I prefer to have a little more security over shutdown speeds, thus I had to set it up once again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.