Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShinjiHiko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I am running the latest version of iTunes in Windows XP. My iPhone 3G will not completely sync anymore since I updated it to iOS4. It starts to sync and then in iTunes it disappears. On the phone it says "Sync in Progress" but nothing is happening.

I reinstalled iTunes, I cleared my phone, but the problem just doesn't seem to want to go away. Any suggestions? Thanks.

harrietg

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
problem syncing 3G/iOS4 with Mobile Me

I'm having a similar problem. I can't seems to sync correctly with MobileMe--I've tried rebooting, removing and then restoring my MobileMe account, resetting sync prefs, and so forth, but I still can't get my Safari bookmarks to sync at all. Also,m iCal seems to synch only when I do it manually with my computer--not when I make a change and wait for MobileMe to sync. Address Book did seems to sync correctly, however.

ShinjiHiko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I guess I am not the only one then. It syncs like one or two items then iTunes drops it with no error message. Very frustrating.

Snaz

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
I too am having this issue, it gives me an error window non stop.
The typical error window you see that says "itunes could not locate these songs: (drop down menu of songs here)"

And it only lists two or 3 songs at a time, telling me that they can't be synced. Going to try a few things and I'll let you know if anything positive happens.

EDIT TO ADD:
It seems like just shutting down itunes, disconnecting the iPhone, and then opening it again seemed to fix the problem. My phone is now syncing all the songs. Time will tell.

ShinjiHiko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
EDIT TO ADD:
It seems like just shutting down itunes, disconnecting the iPhone, and then opening it again seemed to fix the problem. My phone is now syncing all the songs. Time will tell.

Thanks that worked for now ;)

techcommdood

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Same issue: can't sync

iPhone 3G running iOS4
Vista machine
iTunes v. 9.2.0.61

I get a series of errors when syncing my phone. Here they are. Yes, these all pop up on a single sync attempt.

Error 1:
"iTunes could not back up the iPhone "[name of phone]" because the iPhone disconnected."
(It's still connected and iPhone still shows "Sync in Progress" and "slide to cancel".)

Error 2:
"The iPhone "[name of phone]" cannot be synced. An error occurred while writing to the device."
(iPhone still says "Sync in Progress" and "slide to cancel".)

Error 3:
"Attempting to copy to the disk "[name of phone]" failed. The device timed out."

Error 4:
iTunes could not copy "[name of song]" to the iPhone "[name of phone]" because an unknown error occurred (0xE800400C)."

Error 5:

"The iPhone "[name of phone]" cannot be synced. An error occurred while writing to the device."

At this point the sync notification in the Devices list in iTunes stops, but the iPhone is still listed as an attached device. No more errors occur because iTunes stopped syncing, but the iPhone still says "Sync in Progress" and "slide to cancel".

This is extremely frustrating and I can't "fix" the issue by getting an iPhone 4, nor should I have to. Is there a proper channel for reporting this directly to Apple?

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
iPhone 3G running iOS4
Vista machine
iTunes v. 9.2.0.61

I get a series of errors when syncing my phone. Here they are. Yes, these all pop up on a single sync attempt.

Error 1:
"iTunes could not back up the iPhone "[name of phone]" because the iPhone disconnected."
(It's still connected and iPhone still shows "Sync in Progress" and "slide to cancel".)

Error 2:

Error 3:
"Attempting to copy to the disk "[name of phone]" failed. The device timed out."

Error 4:
iTunes could not copy "[name of song]" to the iPhone "[name of phone]" because an unknown error occurred (0xE800400C)."

Error 5:

At this point the sync notification in the Devices list in iTunes stops, but the iPhone is still listed as an attached device. No more errors occur because iTunes stopped syncing, but the iPhone still says "Sync in Progress" and "slide to cancel".

This is extremely frustrating and I can't "fix" the issue by getting an iPhone 4, nor should I have to. Is there a proper channel for reporting this directly to Apple?

Same problems for me under Windows 7 x64. It is now impossible to copy any music to my iPhone 3GS and I am livid :mad:

Jesssa420

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Error 3:

This is the same problem that I'm having when syncing movies or music. I can sync everything else. Has anyone figured it out yet? I'm super miffed! :mad::mad:

vtcc93

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
I will join the fun.

I have the same issue.

Win 7x64

Updated to iTunes 9.2, then got the upgrade to iOS 4. Did it on two different iPhones (3GS's) and now both wont sync. I have tried a lot of stuff, and the latest is telling it to remove all the songs (17GB) and then re-add. It looks like it is trying to put them back on, so I don't know.

Will tell everyone if it works on my phone before I break the wifes.

VT

vtcc93

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
It deleted all my music, and then put the files back on, but still is stuck in a Sync loop (not completing.) don't know what to do about it.

vtcc93

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Found a post on the Apple Forums. It actually worked for both phones. Go into your photos tab while syncing. instead of selecting the photos folder, select a subfolder underneath. In my case, I have it down to one folder "2010" hope this helps all.

techcommdood

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
mystery success

I rebooted both the PC and the iPhone and connected the iPhone without iTunes open. The phone was recognized, iTunes opened on its own, and I got a complete sync. I have successfully been able to sync ever since. No rhyme, reason, or logic, but I'm good now. YMMV, so it seems.

rdandan

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Same same

Wellm, here I am having the same issues. 3GS, ios 4, with Mac. latest itunes for sure.
As mentioned previously, reconnecting the phone might help, but you have to try it several time

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
I'm still having the same problems, and I'm sorry to report that iTunes 9.2.1 doesn't do a thing to solve them :mad: I'm beyond frustrated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.