Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-Engineer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I want to preform an upgrade swap and I called ATT based on what they posted on their website. They said we can't preform that unless we activate the device and we can't activate. It has to be done through Apple.

As we prepare to ship devices, we want to make sure that we set your service up the way you want it. Your iPhone 4 has a micro-SIM card that is inside the device. This micro-SIM will be activated to the upgrade eligible phone number that you used to place your order. If that is the same phone number you plan to use with your iPhone 4, you are all set. Just follow the step-by-step activation instructions that arrive with your shipment.
However, if the number you used to order your device is NOT the number you intend to use with your iPhone 4, follow these simple steps when your device arrives and an ATT representative will help you activate.
1. As soon as you receive your new iPhone 4, charge your device fully.
2. Contact AT&T at 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a different wireless device. At the prompt, enter the wireless number that received the upgrade to iPhone 4.
3. At the next prompt, choose option #2 to activate your phone on a different mobile number, and an AT&T representative will help you from there.
4. After speaking with the AT&T representative, you will be instructed to launch iTunes (http://www.itunes.com) and connect your device.
Please call 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a wireless phone if you have further questions. We're here to help ensure you have a great experience with your new device.

Update:
I went to a corporate store and they told me the new micro sim is active in the system and when I told the guy that is strange because my wife's phone still working. He looked again to the system and said it is active but waiting to accept the terms and condition. The long story short, he did the swap on the computer and give me a new microsim and a new sim for my wife's phone. He even was so nice and offered to transfer my contacts' numbers to the new iphone. He said it is the first time he touches iphone 4 since they didn't receive any shipment yet.
P.S: I asked him if they do have a lot of microsim supplies for the iphone not the ipad and he said yes

mbsaeger

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I want to preform an upgrade swap and I called ATT based on what they posted on their website. They said we can't preform that unless we activate the device and we can't activate. It has to be done through Apple.

I've been through this. Try the AT&T store.

apple3g040193

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Id call back and try again because it says it possible on the website and on the phone if not go to an att store.

LordOBoogie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Have you changed addresses recently? I had to change my ZIP code to my old ZIP to get it to activate. :confused:

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Oh damn I hope this isn't a problem. I wanted to perform an update swap as well (bought the phone from ATT). I even double checked by calling them a few days ago to make sure it was alright. They said they could swap the numbers on the phone. Plus everyone on this board said it was a simple process during the last iphone iteration.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Just tried to do this, they're telling me I need to go to a store and get a new SIM. Going to try again and see if I get a different answer.

UPDATE: I called again and got a different person who seemed to know what she was talking about. She took the ICCID and IMEI numbers from the box, and supposedly switched them to my line. When I plug into iTunes, it still shows the old number. I'm going to try to activate anyway and see what happens.

UPDATE 2:Well, that didn't work. I'm now getting an error, saying that I need an unactivated SIM card. I guess I'll be going to the store after all.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Just tried to do this, they're telling me I need to go to a store and get a new SIM. Going to try again and see if I get a different answer.

UPDATE: I called again and got a different person who seemed to know what she was talking about. She took the ICCID and IMEI numbers from the box, and supposedly switched them to my line. When I plug into iTunes, it still shows the old number. I'm going to try to activate anyway and see what happens.

UPDATE 2:Well, that didn't work. I'm now getting an error, saying that I need an unactivated SIM card. I guess I'll be going to the store after all.

I had this happen, so I went to the store and got a new SIM... and it still won't activate. The first screen reports the original number, and the process errors out after accepting the terms and conditions. Guess I'll be heading back to the store again after work. =(

bdeitemeyer

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
The AT&T upgrade guide is BS at the moment, option #2 on step 2 isn't even relevant to their instructions (you'll see if you try calling).

Anyways, I just completed my upgrade swap after talking with 2 AT&T CS reps over the phone and driving to an AT&T store. The iPhone 4 must be activated on the original (the line that was eligible for the upgrade) line first so that the owner accepts the Terms & Conditions set forth by Apple/AT&T. Once that line is activated, you need to call AT&T back with the IMEI numbers of both the iPhone 4 and the phone that you just kicked off (since you activated it on a line that you don't intend to use it on). AT&T can then switch the numbers around, moving the iPhone 4 to the intended line and re-activate the irrelevant phone that was eligible for the upgrade swap. I then had to drive to my local AT&T store to replace both the MicroSIM and SIM for the two lines. After all was said & done, my iPhone 4 was successfully swapped over to the intended line and the upgrade-eligible line was re-activated with my old 3GS. Good luck everyone.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
All you have to do is call AT&T before connecting to iTunes. Give them your IMEI number and ICCID number. After you hang up with them plug it into iTunes and it will detect the new phone number.

I don't understand why everyone is having to drive to pick up sim cards and what not...

I did this all from my home over the phone....

VTAb182

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
If you just go to the AT&T store right off the bat, without making calls, will they be able to do it all?

bdeitemeyer

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
All you have to do is call AT&T before connecting to iTunes. Give them your IMEI number and ICCID number. After you hang up with them plug it into iTunes and it will detect the new phone number.

I don't understand why everyone is having to drive to pick up sim cards and what not...

Tried that, didn't work. After giving them the IMEI number and ICCID number of the iPhone 4, I was told the swap was successful. When I plugged the phone into iTunes, I was shown the original number (the upgrade-eligible number, not the number I was trying to swap the phone over to) prepared for activation setup. I was then told by another AT&T rep that I HAD to activate it on that line in order to accept the terms & conditions, then transfer it over after it's been activated. I realize this goes against their bulletin and makes things complicated, but that's out of my control.

chhhrrriiisss

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Connecticut

I plugged my iPhone into the computer before calling.. I've been on hold for about a half hour. Should I just go to AT&T for a new sim?

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH

That's exactly what I tried to do... and it didn't work.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
DO NOT DO what the first post suggests. You need to activate the phone FIRST. If you don't, it gives an error during the process and says you need an unactivated SIM. Don't get the SIM activated by AT&T.

Ugh... now I need to go to an AT&T store... *sigh*...

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Just got back from AT&T. I ended up going through three different SIM cards before they got it to work. Also, I need to swap the SIM in the other phone that the upgrade was done on.

What a mess...

I tried this also, got an error message in iTunes saying a needed a new, unactivated SIM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.