Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
Hello,

I am the happy owner of a 15'' alubook who fell in love with his machine.

Particulary with the keyboard.

I never used such a comfortable keyboard, really. I used to swear by the Keytronic ErgoForce, but this laptop's keyboard dethroned it...

So here's my question:

I would like to find the same keyboard, but... for a PC.

I tried an ultra-small keyboard which looked about the same as a VAIO keyboard *yuck* and hated it. The PB's keyoard is really slicker, the keys don't have this 'ridge' and really feel natural.

Does any of you guys know if such a gem exists?

Thanks for your help,
Palad1

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
when going from my powerbook keyboard to another PC, i find that the best annd closest feel are those of dell computers. not sure why, but they just working nicely. i also think the feel on the MS internet keyboard is comparable. but certainly my typing needs are different.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Try an IBM Thinkpad... in reviews, they often mention the quality of the keyboard, and having had one for a while, I would agree.

Lee Tom

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
LeeTom said:
Try an IBM Thinkpad... in reviews, they often mention the quality of the keyboard, and having had one for a while, I would agree.

Lee Tom

Yes, I have firsthand experience with a Thinkpad, my dad has got one. The keyboard is indeed very nice, but I think the PB's has a slight edge on it. I think the origional poster is asking for a normal keyboard, not a laptop with a good keyboard.

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
zagato27 said:
I bought one of these for my G5, love it. Looks cool and has very nice action, I seem to fly on this board! 2 USB ports (one at each end). Pretty cheap too.... $39 at Newegg I think. It gets my vote. :D

Sounds too good to be true ;)

How does it compare to an alubook keyboard? Does it have the same feel to it? I'm a bit worried that the keys will not feel as 'soft' as the alubook's.

I tried this one, and it really feels horrible (like a VAIO.. *shudders*) : http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Logitech UltraX Keyboard Keyboard:1991330435

Thanks for the link, I'll try to find a shop carrying it in Europe!

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Palad1 said:
Sounds too good to be true ;)

How does it compare to an alubook keyboard? Does it have the same feel to it? I'm a bit worried that the keys will not feel as 'soft' as the alubook's.

I tried this one, and it really feels horrible (like a VAIO.. *shudders*) : http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Logitech UltraX Keyboard Keyboard:1991330435

Thanks for the link, I'll try to find a shop carrying it in Europe!

Don't think you could go wrong with this keyboard. As to comparing it to the AluBook????? I don't have one and my experience is limited to a few keystrokes at an Apple retailer. HOWEVER, it does seem to compare very nicely from my limited experience. Trust me, this is a nice keyboard especially if you are used to laptops. Finally, I think you might be in luck. I believe I did a Google search and came up with some European/Japanese sites that carried this and/or had some reviews of it. I could swear that in a review I came across some info that you could get a BT version of the IceKey. If they sold it here in the states I'd get one as my G5 is BT. My goal is to "cut the cord" so to speak. I highly recommend the Icekey.... good luck. Cheers

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
zagato27 said:
Don't think you could go wrong with this keyboard. As to comparing it to the AluBook????? I don't have one and my experience is limited to a few keystrokes at an Apple retailer. HOWEVER, it does seem to compare very nicely from my limited experience. Trust me, this is a nice keyboard especially if you are used to laptops. Finally, I think you might be in luck. I believe I did a Google search and came up with some European/Japanese sites that carried this and/or had some reviews of it. I could swear that in a review I came across some info that you could get a BT version of the IceKey. If they sold it here in the states I'd get one as my G5 is BT. My goal is to "cut the cord" so to speak. I highly recommend the Icekey.... good luck. Cheers

Did some digging and found an old review of the IceKey. Think that it will address your concerns regarding "feel". Check it out. http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=359

Cheers

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I had both a Macally IceKey and a Alu Powerbook, and the similarities were definitely there. It doesn't take much effort to push the keys, and they're low so you can type faster. I also found that my wrists hurt less, especially since I've switched back to the Apple BT keyboard.

I'd try it out -- you can't go wrong with the price.

.narco

Mtn Tamale

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
Denver, CO
Have Icekey with my G5...excellent

Prior to this G5 I'd primarily used laptops for years. Particularly like the ALPowerbook keyboard for feel. Can't stand the normal Apple keyboards, or any normal ones really. Got the icekey maybe 1 month ago. I absolutely love it. And you don't have that issue...the only one...with the Powerbook when you are typing in Word, and go to hit the right shift key, hit the up button, and delete the last line or two...hate that...have to undo quickly. Not a problem with the bigger Icekey keyboard.

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
Mtn Tamale said:
Prior to this G5 I'd primarily used laptops for years. Particularly like the ALPowerbook keyboard for feel. Can't stand the normal Apple keyboards, or any normal ones really. Got the icekey maybe 1 month ago. I absolutely love it. And you don't have that issue...the only one...with the Powerbook when you are typing in Word, and go to hit the right shift key, hit the up button, and delete the last line or two...hate that...have to undo quickly. Not a problem with the bigger Icekey keyboard.

Lol, never encounterd that problem. This forum really helps me too, since I plan on buying a pmac G5, but i've used laptops all my life & want the small & sleek laptop keyboard feel.

Cheers,
outerspaceapple

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Have icekey

I bought the icekey after making a switch from a powerbook 17" to G5 imac. It is a very nice keyboard to type on especially if you are used to using a powerbook. I tried the apple keyboard for about 5 minutes before it got put back into the box. Anyone want it for cheap?

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
bellis1 said:
... I tried the apple keyboard for about 5 minutes before it got put back into the box. Anyone want it for cheap?

Being a "full-stroke keyboarder", I like the Apple keyboard. I think you ought to keep it for when you sell your computer in the future, but if you really want to get rid of it, I'm sure there are lots of folks who would like it to use with their PC.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I was after the CoolerMaster Q Aluminium keyboard that toezter has, but it seems to be discontinued.
After a trip to my local evil PC World though (do they ever get any better?!?) I saw a fully brushed aluminium, PB type (but full) keyboard. Looks very, very nice. Pricey at £50, and is USB not wireless. But the major downer is the logo on the keyboard right above the function keys in the centre.....

PACKARD BELL

:mad: I'm hoping it can be removed though - I've just got to have a go on one in the shop......

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
You may want to check out this:

http://www.gyration.com/ultragt-compact.htm

Comp USA's have them out for demo, if you have one close to you.

I have the full sized gyration and like the keyboard, plus using the mouse in the air is really cool and does make it very useful for presentations (if you need that...), but also works well as a standard optical 3 button mouse.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I have picked up (for free no less) an ultra-slim keyboard that feels really good.

Mini-Keyboard 5510M US PS/2 is the model number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.