Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mspman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Is anyone else experiencing a real slowness in 3G data speed on the iPhone 4? I can't even get to Macrumors anymore.. it's really really slow. I had a friend at happy hour last night pull up MR on her 3GS and compared it to my 4, and hers blew mine away..

Defiant81

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2009
Is anyone else experiencing a real slowness in 3G data speed on the iPhone 4? I can't even get to Macrumors anymore.. it's really really slow. I had a friend at happy hour last night pull up MR on her 3GS and compared it to my 4, and hers blew mine away..

Having the exact issue. My friends 3G seems faster.. Of course my signal keeps going crazy too....

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Strange my iPhone 4 is way faster than my 3GS ever was.

jsnlmf.jpg

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I routinely get 5+mbps dowload speeds and 1.5+ upload on my iPhone 4... which is about 2-3 times faster than the speeds I used to get on my iPhone 3G.

I'm in Dallas

johndeerrm

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Best on my 4 has been 2476K/1637K. 3GS best 1386K/756K same location.

The WIFI seems to be 3-4Mb faster.

Chase817

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
I haven't been holding my i4 during these tests, and the 3G still smokes it in download, but upload on the i4 smashes the 3G.

3G:
D/L - 2617 kbps
U/L - 238 kbps
Ping - 454 ms

i4:
D/L - 2056 kbps
U/L - 1262 kbps
Ping - 2544 ms

sanders4617

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
No 3G problems what so ever for me.. Its MUCH MUCH faster than my iPhone 3G was when browsing the web. I love the iPhone 4! :)

icurnvs

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
I'm having problems with this on my iPhone 4. It does seem to be limited to when I'm at work, so the problem may lie in the 3g cell tower I'm connecting to while at work. Boy do I hope that gets fixed, because if all I have at work is EDGE, I'm not going to be a happy camper.

parmesan

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Speed

I am facing the same problem. It's heartbreaking!
Safari times out very often. Sometimes it takes more than 30 secs for nytimes to load.
ATT shows 5 bars even when I cover the entire antenna with my hands....so its not the grip problem.

Attached is the result using speedtest app. The iphone was placed at the same position on my desk in all the tests. ATT always had 5 bars with 3G. Dont know how the speeds could be so erratic.

Besides, my 3 yr old old sony ericsson consistently opens websites faster than my iphone4g

Attachments

• DSC00586.JPG
    DSC00586.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 195

dvd4455

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
iPhone 4 slow data speeds

My wife and I both upgraded to the iphone 4 from the 3G. We never had a problem with our signal or iphone internet speeds until we upgraded. Our Att signal is usually pretty strong in this area so, even though both our phones have the dropped bars issue when held, we seldom experience a dropped call. However, we do have major issues with the data speeds on both iphone 4's when compared with the 3G or 3GS.

Our neighbor still has his 3G and he is consistently getting faster data downloads on his 3G than we are on our iphone 4. I've done extensive speed tests on each phone and our iphone 4's data speed is much worse. (regardless of if we are holding the phone or not)

I've called att and they said Apple is working on a fix. I called Apple and they said it's the at&t networks fault. (Data works great on the 3G in the same location so I don't see how it can be att's issue. otherwise the 3G would preform poorly as well from the same location)

I even wen't into the att store and showed the reps the issue. They used the demo 3GS at the store and we compared it with both my wifes and my iphone 4 and on every test or internet site we tried the 3GS was much faster at loading pages. Sometimes our iphone 4 would even time out. The rep said it's a definite problem with the iphone 4 and they have seen it with many customers. He said he would expect apple to have a fix shortly. But now Apple is saying it's simply an error in how they display the bars. APPLE - This is more than just a "wrong formula" in how you display the bars.

I'll be returning both our iphone 4's before my 30 days is up if Apple does not address the issue before then.

pjg

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2011
slow i 4 phone

I am so disapointed, I just bought a new i 4 phone and it is so slow to upload, maybe I am doing something wrong?? I had a blackberry and gave it to my manager... my husband said I would be happier with an i-4...wrong... it is taking forever to download and also tried to download I-Tune as it is a must to do it on your computer to access Facebook and etc...but even that is not working.. guess I will go in and ask what am I doing wrong.
Is it really an issue with the downloading of emails.
my blackberry was instant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.