Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akeel1701

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Glasgow
Hi
I've got a G5 iMac which is 5 years old now, it's got 2Gb RAM and 75Gb HD
In the past couple of weeks it really slowed down and then it started having panic attacks and random freezes. It also crashed with a what appeared to be a wierd zig-zag pattern [see attached jpeg - this happens even when the log-inscreen is on]

macscreen 1600x800.JPG

I hadn't installed any new applications or anything and it had been fine upto then.

I've ran the hardware test a few times, which has said everything is fine: video, memory, logic board all passed.

So I backed everything up, scrubbed the HD, installed a fresh system 10.4, which Software Upgrade then took upto 10.4.11; Installed some of the apps and put some data back on - but leaving about half of the HD empty

The random crashes are happening more and more frequently, crashing, panic attacks and i am forced to do a hard restart every time

Is there anyway out of this or is it a case of old machine, on its last legs and needing a new one?

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
The logic board is bad. More specifically, the graphics chip. Those models are notorious this issue. Sorry mang.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
its a g5 iMac, so its the bad caps showing up now
and yes the 1.6/1.8/2.0 g5 iMac's had been notorious for bad caps
on the 1.9 and 2.1 models apple had i guess partly solved the problem in 2006 about at the same time as with the eMac 1.42 the problem was solved too
and for same reasons apple had a repair exchange scheme for the bad caps , but that ran out long time ago and apple did make it quiet easy for owners back then just bring in the iMac and get a new board fitted ...if only the owners would have known about the scheme ..but most didn't know about and apple didn't tell everybody ....
sorry mate , but there is hope if you can solder then you can solve the problem for about £20 by changing all the bad caps inside or for a bit more you can get it done from your local radio/tv repair shop , apple is not a option because they would exchange the board which cost you more then a new iMac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.