Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6stringR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
First of all, does streaming music from pandora/slacker/last.fm take away from my monthly allotment of data? I assume so.

Does anyone know of a music service that does NOT use up my data? I don't have wifi at work nor while I'm bike riding - the two places I stream music.

Does iheartradio pull from my data limit?

slsl0

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Well there's always the iPod app but if you don't have any music you can check how much data it's actually using under the usage tab in settings

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
When you find a streaming service that doesn't send data to your phone over 3G yet you can listen to music from it please let me know so I can patent it ASAP.

Dsr1205

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
First of all, does streaming music from pandora/slacker/last.fm take away from my monthly allotment of data? I assume so.

Does anyone know of a music service that does NOT use up my data? I don't have wifi at work nor while I'm bike riding - the two places I stream music.

Does iheartradio pull from my data limit?

Use the slacker radio app: premium, 15bucks for 3 months, 50 for a year. You can store the radio stations on your phone when your on wifi, so no data usage while your "streaming" on the go.

i use slacker and you can store 25 stations, i stored 25 but i will never use that many. you can also refresh them when on wi-fi. I like streaming usually and have unlimited sat so i could care less but at&t sucks so streaming doesn't work well.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
They all count towards your data usage. Check your usage statistics on your phone before and after streaming to get an idea of how much data is being used.

There is an internet radio app that cache's up to 25 stations for offline listening. In theory, you should be able to cache these stations via WiFi and then listen offline without using any data. Unfortunately I forget the name of the app, maybe someone can chime in.

slsl0

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
When you find a streaming service that doesn't send data to your phone yet you can listen to music from it please let me know so I can patent it ASAP.

I've got it! A music service that calls you so instead of data you use a ton of minutes!

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
I streamed pandora for about an hour on my drive yesterday and my usage jumped about 56mb ... Not bad I thought

TheDoctor29

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
hate to revive an old thread but. oh well

i dont know how some of you are geting 30+mb in 1 hour. (higher quality?)
i am only spending about 15mb an hour using pandora. (the app)

Gjeepguy

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
hate to revive an old thread but. oh well

i dont know how some of you are geting 30+mb in 1 hour. (higher quality?)
i am only spending about 15mb an hour using pandora. (the app)

in the settings for pandora, you can change the setting s for Cell Network Audio Quality to Higher quality audio.

TheDoctor29

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
in the settings for pandora, you can change the setting s for Cell Network Audio Quality to Higher quality audio.

ah gotcha
i am assuming this is for people docking their phone onto a speaker system because i dont see the phone itself being able to handle true high def audio output on those tiny speakers. Maybe a nice bose headset would help.

But this is my 2nd day with the phone so what do i know?!?:p

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Use the slacker radio app: premium, 15bucks for 3 months, 50 for a year. You can store the radio stations on your phone when your on wifi, so no data usage while your "streaming" on the go.

i use slacker and you can store 25 stations, i stored 25 but i will never use that many. you can also refresh them when on wi-fi. I like streaming usually and have unlimited sat so i could care less but at&t sucks so streaming doesn't work well.

I 2nd this suggestion. Slacker's "cache" feature is great.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
I use Mog. It's $10/mo but you get unlimited access to their whole library from a PC, phone, iPad, etc. They have a VERY good selection and the interface on the iPhone is very nice. You can download songs or entire albums when you are on WIFI and then just listen to them while you are on the go without any data usage. My favorite feature is "Mog radio" where you can adjust a slider to either play only songs from one artist, or slide it to where it'll start mixing in similar artists (of course, this will use data because it's live streaming).

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
is the cache feature only enabled if you have the paid version of slacker?

Yes. You get a 7 day trial if you download slacker though. At least I got it last year.

If anybody is interested, PM me your email address. I have a couple of 1 month trial premium subscription certificates left from my 1 year paid subscription.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I use Mog. It's $10/mo but you get unlimited access to their whole library from a PC, phone, iPad, etc. They have a VERY good selection and the interface on the iPhone is very nice. You can download songs or entire albums when you are on WIFI and then just listen to them while you are on the go without any data usage. My favorite feature is "Mog radio" where you can adjust a slider to either play only songs from one artist, or slide it to where it'll start mixing in similar artists (of course, this will use data because it's live streaming).

I second this. MOG is excellent.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
slacker Plus for $50 a year will let you cache your stations so you can listen when you don't have a signal. any cached station will play from the cache by default. just refresh over wi-fi at home

elan123

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
I've got it! A music service that calls you so instead of data you use a ton of minutes!
543.jpg

I like that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.