Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
I am moving into a new home that has in-ceiling mounted speakers throughout the house. I plan to use my stereo amplifier (and a speaker selector) to run the 6 pairs of mounted speakers.
I knnow I can use apple's wireless transmitter - but that is from my computer.
What I would *really* like to do is use my iPod as the music source. I can control the songs playing, volumne, etc from the pod.
So, I am looking for a wireless stereo/amplifier/speaker system that will:
- receive a signal form the iPod
- transmit to a receiver, which will
- output to my amplifier or receiver (and thus drive the sound/speakers)

Any suggestions?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Ten Technologies announced a bluetooth-based system that loosely does what you want, although you're not going to be able to get very far from your stereo. And it isn't available yet. :(

http://www.tentechnology.com/

I think your biggest problem is going to be *sending* a signal from the iPod, not receiving it.... Unless you're willing to go with an FM transmitter, which I'm assuming you're not, right?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
maclamb said:
Why would I not want to use an FM transmitter? what would you recommend?

Oh, hmmm...., sorry, maybe you would. I was guessing it was beneath the level you're shooting form because the sound quality won't be quite CD-level... But it's the cheapest, easiest solution. You get something like the Griffin iTrip, and maybe a powered antenna for your receiver to strengthen the signal? Then you just select a station in an unused portion of the radio bandwidth and voila.

But again, not CD quality....But it might not be so bad either. It depends on the music you listen to, and how much of an audiophile you consider yourself. If you take relatively "quiet" music -- anything acoustic, especially baroque or chamber music, but even someone singing over a guitar, I think you will probably be able to notice a small amount of hissing or static if you concentrate, vs. a wired connection.

Griffin iTrip: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/

Powered antennas should be readily available anywhere quality receivers are sold.

As far as the iTrip goes, there are often deals for it on dealnews.com -- you can also use it to listen to your iPod in the car.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
thanks...duh
I already own it and forgot I had it!
I tried it last night and it should work fine ( and I do have a powered antenna)

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.