Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lindamm99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
I'm a new forum user and don't know my way around yet. I have an ipad and love it! I would like to know about getting a wifi signal in my home. I have a local telephone company dsl connection that I have wired to my macbook and never bothered to use wireless home networking because I really don't need it. I would like to pick up a signal on my ipad and I'm not sure what I need. Is a wireless router connected to the dsl modem enough or do I need something else? I was looking at the Apple airport stuff but I don't have a clue if it is what I need. I can't get wireless internet where I live so I go with Windstream and a Speedstream dsl modem. I would really appreciate any recommendations for what to buy.
I did get the 3G model but I burned through 250mb in a day so I do need something more for home.

chris650

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I'm a new forum user and don't know my way around yet. I have an ipad and love it! I would like to know about getting a wifi signal in my home. I have a local telephone company dsl connection that I have wired to my macbook and never bothered to use wireless home networking because I really don't need it. I would like to pick up a signal on my ipad and I'm not sure what I need. Is a wireless router connected to the dsl modem enough or do I need something else? I was looking at the Apple airport stuff but I don't have a clue if it is what I need. I can't get wireless internet where I live so I go with Windstream and a Speedstream dsl modem. I would really appreciate any recommendations for what to buy.
I did get the 3G model but I burned through 250mb in a day so I do need something more for home.

Apple makes an iRouter.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
yes, you just need to buy a wireless router - you would simply take the ethernet cable coming out of your DSL modem and plug the other end into the wireless router (instead of plugging the ethernet cable into your MacBook)

you would then need to configure the settings on the router, just once upon installation

if you buy an Apple Airport Express (small AC-adapter sized router) or Airport Extreme (larger full function one) there's a simple to use Airport Utility app on your Macbook to set up your wireless network. If you have a 3rd party router, the configuration is usually done via web browser to a special URL that connects to the router

the Airport Express is probably enough for your needs and is very easy to set up for use with both your iPad and Macbook. as an added bonus, the AP Express is a convenient size to take with you when you travel - e.g. for use in hotels that only have wired internet. (that's what I do with mine, I also have AP Extreme at home)

If you have an Apple store in your area, they may be able to show you more details in person. Of course, you could instead buy a 3rd party wireless router, there are many other good choices.

undrpsi

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Welcome to the forum !!

Hello Linda...and Welcome to the forum.

I highly reccomend the Apple routers....if you have NO other wireless needs why not look at the Apple Express Router ??

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB321LL/A/AirPort-Express-AirTunes?fnode=MTY1NDEyMQ&mco=MTA4NzI4ODU

Small, about the size of a deck of cards, it could easily supply the iPad with a wireless connection. They're $99 from Mommy Apple...or cheaper if you look around (Paid $58 for mine refurbed).

Having said that, I access a cheap Linksys Wireless-G router when visiting my mom and at the Panera Bread down the street. I think I have seen them as cheap as $29.00.....but....you can't go wrong with the Apple products.

Cheers!

Jay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.