Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Hi everyone,

I finally found an iPad at Best Buy the other day and bought it on the spot. As a result, I haven't finalized my decision on what I want for cases and screen protectors/skins. I have some ideas for a case, at the moment, I'm thinking of sticking with the mono price TPU cases since they are inexpensive. Then I'm planning to keep the iPad in something like an incase sleeve for extra protection when it isn't in use, I'm traveling, etc. If I don't go with Mono price, I'm leaning towards the Speck Fitted case.

Anyway, my biggest concern is the screen protector/skin. I've used BodyGuardz on my phones and iPods for around a year and I like them, they offer good protection, they are a pain to install, but I think most things are. The thing I dislike the most is the fact you have to use the water solution to install it, that just makes me nervous, especially around a brand new product. So, I'm looking for suggestions on what to use for coverage. I know to stay away from Zagg and I've heard good things about Power Support, but at $30 and not having anything for the back, it seems really costly. I've also heard a lot of good about Wrapsol, but I don't believe they have the guarantee on their product, so it doesn't seem like as good of a deal as Bodyguardz. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If there was something like a window cling (best way I can describe it :D ) over the BodyGuardz style protection, I'm thinking that may be the way to go, just for the ease of applying it and not having to use the water, but I'm open to anything that is going to work well.

Thanks so much and sorry for all the confusion. I normally have all these things decided ahead of time but wasn't really expecting to find the iPad so I'm not as prepared as I normally am.

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
@aliencase, thanks for the review, that was very helpful. I've heard a lot of good about the case, but I'm not really sure I need that much protection. I plan to keep it in a heavily padded sleeve when not in use and then use a entire body protector and then probably another basic case, if needed. I'm not a huge fan of the look of the otterbox and I think it is just a little more than I need. If I start traveling more with my iPad, then I would probably consider it, but I just think it may be a little too much for what I plan to use it for.

@nioted, thanks for the look. I do really like the look of those, but I was hoping for a little more protection than just the sides. My main concern now is to get some sort of a screen protector type coverage for the entire device... actually, the cover they send the iPad with is nice, but obivously I would like something that looks nicer and protects the whole thing, but something along those lines. I have it on my phones, iPod Touch, etc. and it makes me feel so much more comfortable using it, so I think it would be a great addition to the iPad as well.

Thanks for your replies!

Tobster3

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
South Korea
For around the house and office I have

1) Belkin Grip vue - clear colour
2) Power Support screen protector
3) Incase sleeve (traveling back and fore from home to office)

I have had a few combinations and this is by far the besr combination for around the house. I love having the iPad looking almost naked but knowing I have suitable protection gives me peace of mind.

For traveling I have the Marware Eco Flip case - it covers all my needs when traveling.

Hope this helps. You can check out reviews on Youtube of all items.

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Thanks for sharing, that is basically what I'm wanting to do as well. I just like having the protector on it for normal every day use, without it I think it feels a little too much like I'm going to drop it, plus I like the added protection without the need for a case. When I'm on the go I want a little more protection, so a basic case would be what I plan to get and then the Incase bag is what I'm planning to use as well.

Do you have anything to protect the back of the iPad? I looked at Best Buy and their display models don't really have that many scratches on them, I figure if they can handle that kind of abuse then I really don't need to worry about scratches. At the same time, I know I would feel more comfortable with something on the back so I know it won't get scratched and also so that I don't have to worry about something being on the iPad or case when I put it in or take it out. That is my biggest concern now is just trying to find something for the back as well. Paying $30 for just the front screen protector, I hate to pay $30 more to cover the back as well. I like that Power Support doesn't require water to apply it, but I haven't found anything for the back that doesn't require water, so it seems I would be defeating one of the big benefits of PowerSupport.

I really wish I would have had this all figured out before I bought the iPad, it would have made things a lot easier... but, I'm having too much fun to even care :D

Thanks again for your reply!

talkinsmac

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
iPad screen protector

With all of this discussion @ 'should I or shouldn't I', I think we all want to protect our investment and without a doubt, the iPad screen will eventually develop scratches. So with that behind us, why buy a screen protector that will infuriate us to no end by having those incessant bubbles because of that dastardly adhesive? I just saw a product that is so simple it's amazing no one has come up with this idea before: an adhesive-free, cling vinyl frame that holds the screen protector in place. Genius! I've used lowbluelights.com products in the past and have loved every product I've bought so far. I can't wait to try out their new screen protector. I see they also have a filter for those of you who have complained about insomnia after using the iPad during the evening. What will lowbluelights.com think of next?

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Right now I have a vinyl decal I bought off of ebay on the back. It works well but I impulsively bought one with a cool design but I think it looks kind of tacky...however it is still on because it will keep scratches away.

I was thinking about getting one of the mono cases but I am not sure if it will fit inside my folio case. I keep it in the folio 90% of the time because it has a kickstand thing.

Do the mono cases typically fit inside?

i-Want-Apples

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
@talkinsmac, thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely look them up, that is exactly the type thing I was looking for. BodyGuardz just announced a dry apply product for iPhone 4, but they didn't say if/when one will be coming for the iPad. So, I'm thinking if they do release one, there is no telling how long it may be, so this may be the best option for me.

@nixiemaiden, I don't think I can offer too much help here, sorry. I have looked at the vinyl cases because it seems like it would work just as well, be less expensive and easier to apply than other products, but I'm not sure if I want a pattern either.

As far as I have heard, the folio cases have a pretty snug fit, so I don't think the mono case would fit inside of it. I can't be sure, but that is what I would think. If it did fit, it may affect the case in the future if you wanted to put the iPad in without the other case, you may no longer have the tight fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.