Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tobster3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
South Korea
Hi,

I will be travelling to the UK (Scotland) in the coming weeks and will spend about 3-4 weeks there.

Are there prepaid Micro Sims available in Scotland for the iPad, similar to the Pay as you Go simcards for mobile phones?

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Unfortunately not. Your best bet is to pick up an o2 microsim and activate it through the iPad.

//Disregard, the reply below is much better!

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Yes you can get a PrePaid iPad Micro Sim.. They're still Pay As You Go.

Depends who has the best coverage for you, most likely Three or Orange. You can order a 1 month (1GB) microsim from Three UK for £10 one-off. That expires after a month so it's perfect for you. You can pick one up online or at any three store.

myko54

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
Sydney, Australia
UK Prepaid Micro Sim

I am travelling to UK, England, in September with an iPhone4 (from Australia) and was wondering if anyone had recommendations as to which is the best telco to purchase a pre-paid microsim. I will need data (around 500MB), voice and text for about 2 weeks. I value quality of coverage over price.
Any help greatly appreciated.

ACDeag

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
Edinburgh, UK
I am travelling to UK, England, in September with an iPhone4 (from Australia) and was wondering if anyone had recommendations as to which is the best telco to purchase a pre-paid microsim. I will need data (around 500MB), voice and text for about 2 weeks. I value quality of coverage over price.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Three has the most 3G coverage, but depends where you will be, there are gaps in 3G coverage and Three do not offer a 2G backup on their broadband packages where they do not have coverage.

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Hi,

I will be travelling to the UK (Scotland) in the coming weeks and will spend about 3-4 weeks there.

Are there prepaid Micro Sims available in Scotland for the iPad, similar to the Pay as you Go simcards for mobile phones?

Depends how much data, but sounds like the best situation is to pick up a three pay as you go sim, add £5 credit to it, then activate the data add on, (this being a sim for any pay as you go phone, cut it down, the put it in your iPad, it should work, and you get 'unlimited data' rather than something capped, fair usage does apply but its at 2GB.

ACDeag

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
Edinburgh, UK
Depends how much data, but sounds like the best situation is to pick up a three pay as you go sim, add £5 credit to it, then activate the data add on, (this being a sim for any pay as you go phone, cut it down, the put it in your iPad, it should work, and you get 'unlimited data' rather than something capped, fair usage does apply but its at 2GB.

Not unlimited anymore, it is 1GB.

http://www.three.co.uk/Internet_Ser..._ons/Internet_Email?content_aid=1214305768121

MikeTemple

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
In the cloud
You don't say where in Scotland you are going, but out of urban areas, 3G coverage can be patchy as the population density is quite low compared to the rest of the UK, and there's lots of hills.

Make sure you check the coverage maps for whoever you use.

Enjoy Scotland, it's very beautiful, and the Edinburgh festival is about to start :)

ACDeag

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
Edinburgh, UK
Also worth remembering that only O2 offer the ability to purchase data using the iPad's built in functionality. Most of the other networks you have to make a call.

If you get the Three SIM using the £5 for 1GB of data then your best bet would be to activate your My3 web account by sticking the SIM into a phone first so that you can receive the text message with your first time password.

Also watch out, I recently got a Three SIM to cut down but the actual gold section was so big that I would have actually had to cut into that. It seems not all their sims are the same.

myko54

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Three has the most 3G coverage, but depends where you will be, there are gaps in 3G coverage and Three do not offer a 2G backup on their broadband packages where they do not have coverage.

Thanks so much for replying.
I will be in London, Manchester and Liverpool.

sac45310

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
WARNING - Can't buy micro sim without UK Address

ok so there is tons of info on what to buy and who to buy it from but...

I was just in London September 2010 traveling from the US. Tried to buy from Voda, Orange and Tmobile... I wanted the iPhone micro sim. I was required to have a UK address for a credit check in order to buy the sim. I could get a regular sim on pay as you go (not sure if it works for iphone 3g as I left mine at home in US)

I tried both the iPhone 4 and iPad micro sim. There was NO way they could or would let me buy one.

So if ANYONE knows for a FACT!!! that you can buy one please tell me how. I found a company in the US selling UK tmobile micro sims on ebay. Seems legit but I'm not sure as I liked Orange's wifi coverage.

Does anyone know for sure if the newer pay as you go plans can be purchased by customers WITHOUT a UK address or credit check?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.