Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
Hello everyone,

I would like to expand our existing network with an Airport Express.
It is a D-Link wireless router and standard modem in a neighboring building, but they don't always give enough signal in the living room. There is however an internet cable from the building of the router to a room near the living room (cable not currently in use).

I would like to know if an Airport Express can connect to the network via that cable and then can boost the signal?
And will work wireless music streaming work via the Express?

(I read something about using the Airport Express as a bridge, but it wasn't very clear to me.)

Thanks!

Daniel

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Setting up the Express as a bridge seems like the best choice here.

Basically a bridge would mean that the Express bridges that network connection into wireless. It also means that the express won't try and manage the network itself leaving the D-link router in charge and allowing all computers to work together as they would on the same wired or wireless network.

Wireless audio streaming for the Express should function correctly as well.

dannyken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
Setting up the Express as a bridge seems like the best choice here.

Basically a bridge would mean that the Express bridges that network connection into wireless. It also means that the express won't try and manage the network itself leaving the D-link router in charge and allowing all computers to work together as they would on the same wired or wireless network.

Wireless audio streaming for the Express should function correctly as well.

Ok, thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.