Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Just came back from the mechanic, told me my serpentine belts are cracking....time for a replacement.

How much does this usually run? The estimate states $90 & up, depending on how many belt; mine being 2 total...

..Just felt like killing time and asking before I actually went in and got it done. That and I wouldn't wanna drive to Vegas a 3 weeks with this happening under the hood.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
That does not sound to bad. Replacing those belts on some cars is a royal pain in the but and requires a fair amount of time.

Take for example on my car, it has 1 belt but to get to is I have to remove the passenger side wheel, and inside fender. Plus I want to say I have to remove a few mechincal part or 2 on top of that.

On top of that it is a pretty tight spot to work in and having to mess it from the side, above and below the car to get it all to fit in.

Just figure i would point out how big of a pain it can be to do.

$90 does not sound to bad. I bet it is about 1+ hours of labor which in it self is very costly plus the cost of the part.

When they are cracking it is time to replace them. The last thing you want is for one of them to snap.

Chances are one of the belt runs your AC and alternator and the other runs Water and power steering pumps.
You can loss the AC/Alternator one and keep on running for a while. But if you lost the other belt will have a hard time controlling your car and on top of that you need to get it turn off quickly or you will over heat and blow your engine.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Turns out it was no more than sixty bucks ! I'm very happy to get this replaced. This was the last thing standing in the way between my peace of mind and a road trip to Vegas. :D

InvalidUserID

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2008
Palo Alto, CA
Depends on the car though almost every car I've ever driven the serpentine belt is very easy to replace: Grab a socket, loosen the tensioner and belt slips off, reverse order with new belt and done.

I know on my old Camaro it was literally a 2 minute remove/install.

StruckANerve

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Rio Rancho, NM
Depends on the car though almost every car I've ever driven the serpentine belt is very easy to replace: Grab a socket, loosen the tensioner and belt slips off, reverse order with new belt and done.

I know on my old Camaro it was literally a 2 minute remove/install.

That was a serpentine belt which drives all the accessories with the single belt. The TS was needing multiple accessory belts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.