Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

federalists

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
Mountain View, CA
i was wondering how to disassemble the frosty case layer, since the underside of it is REALLY dirty. is there a way to do it without breaking it? i've removed the allen (hex) screws, but there seems to be a plastic post through the turquoise apple. how do i pry it off? any ideas?

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
two things...

on the fold down side you must remove the logic board to access a pair of tabs to squeeze together (fairly easy once the board is removed).

on the stationary side, you should see same clips coming into the case right next to power supply (very center of case). again squeeze together and the sides pop off.

if all you are doing is cleaning... i would REALLY recommend not doing the logic board removal, too many things can go wrong.

federalists

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
Mountain View, CA
thanks for all the help and resources. i just got done doing my complete clean, logic board and all. i've put together pc's before, so i know how to remove motherboards. and i only wish i had the owner's manual, i just got this off ebay for < $100 (rev 2 even!) what a steal.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Linkety has all of the Apple Service manuals for anything. Who wants to tear apart a Color Classic? Or how about a Laser Writer 200?

Cmon... I know who you are.... ;) :D

point665

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
Man they are easy as hell to take apart, no manual or anything needed. Damn Ive completely stripped 2 of them so far without ever looking at a howto. Common sense works. Ive also painted 2 of them for friends of my, both satisfied with the results, I dont want to unveil them yet because I will be entering them along with my own G3 mod into a contest....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.