Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gloriole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
I had reformatted my external harddrive a long time ago from the NTSC format to FAT32 for Mac and it's been working fine. I've been using it as my backup and time Machine. Today, I changed the disk permissions for my Mac HD to my user ID and set it as the owner to unlock some files and applied it to all folders within, I realized that my external harddisk is now a "read-only" and clicking on it reveals an error message: The folder "Capsule" could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges.

I tried changing the disk permissions from the Get Info section and was unable to change it. It states that I have Custom access on all my accounts but all efforts to try and change it to "read and write" has failed.

I tried repairing it in Disk Utility but the options to do so are blanked out. Also, when I try running Disk Utility on my Mac HD I get the error message:
First Aid Failed
Disk Utility stopped verifying permissions on "Mac HD" because the following error was encountered:
The underlying task reported failure on exit.

I have very important information and data on my hard disk and I'm hoping someone could help me out on here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.