Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Activeps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
I need a writing app that can be used to write a novel. I have Pages by find it to confusing. I don't need an app I can doodle in or insert images.

I have seen Chapters but not impressed.

Does anyone gave any suggestions?

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I need a writing app that can be used to write a novel. I have Pages by find it to confusing. I don't need an app I can doodle in or insert images.

I have seen Chapters but not impressed.

Does anyone gave any suggestions?

I tried several of them, and Pages. Result: I use several of them, and Pages.

There's nothing that's not flawed. QuickOffice is severely feature-limited and has an annoying bouncy zoom every time you select a word. Docs2Go has it all but is esthetically unpleasant to work with. Pages looks great but has no folder system, word count or anything else you may want from time to time. Its font options are too buried and too limited. So I generally use Pages but keep Docs To Go handy, and use the generic Notes app like the Windows Notepad to remove text formatting etc. Sometimes I try out others but generally don't. At least D2G supports references, even if you can't add them.

I have been using Infinote as a way to arrange ideas, notes, even paragraphs, as if it were a clipboard for snipped ideas I don't want to lose. Its more than just a sticky notes app but they haven't exploited its potentials.

What worries me is the fact that none of these Office apps seem to be putting out updates to improve matters and their official webpages, forums, facebook pages etc. don't give me much hope.

Activeps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
I will probably end up doing what you are doing. Using several apps. Would be nice to see an app dedicated to writers. One where we could keep characters, plot elements, notes and chapters all in individual folders. Being able to move chapters around, arrange them as we see fit would be nice as well.

The iPad is perfect for writing , too bad the developers seem to have forgotten this part od the market.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
You might take a look at Notebooks for iPad. While I'm nowhere near the novel stage, all my writing is being done in that app at this point--essays, character sketches, short stories, ideas, and things like product reviews. Others who've used it say it's plenty versatile enough to use for a novel. Other notebooks I've created within the app contain everything from jewelry ideas to research on how to configure networks. Random recipes I've found on the web, bits of folklore I'm ransacking for story themes, and the plans for an upcoming bathroom renovation...everything has it's own notebook, most likely nested within other Notebooks that may be a mix of text notes, PDFs, web pages, or images.

The catch--like most of these apps--is that it doesn't support writing or editing of RTF text files, though you can import and read them. There's no real formatting possible with it at this time. That seems to be an Apple-limited issue; I've heard devs complain about it in a number of forums.

It's one of the apps I use daily in spite of the limitations, and it's been one of the better tools I've come across, well worth the money to me.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
The writing apps on my iPad (I've downloaded 30 or so, usually when the price reaches 79 euro cents or free) get rearranged, deleted and replaced every few weeks but I tend to keep the same three, plus a couple of "toys." I always keep QuickOffice, D2G and Pages, and then maybe Notably, WhiteNote, Mental Note, Noterize, etc.

I'm not sure why developers have stopped developing existing apps. I just hope it's because they're waiting for iOS 4.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
OmniOutliner may be what you want. It was submitted to the app store last week, and should appear soon.

I enjoy writing in the desktop version as it's easy to start with only a few details, then move them 'round and flesh them out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.