Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
no such thing

All USB devices are powered. It's USB.
USB is a digital signal. It needs to be translated to analog to drive a speaker, so you need a chip to do this.

You want unpowered speakers, use the headphone jack. It will power a very small speakers (such as headphone speakers ;)

0sync0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
no such thing

All USB devices are powered. It's USB.
USB is a digital signal. It needs to be translated to analog to drive a speaker, so you need a chip to do this.
The are usb speakers that require so much power that they only use the usb for data and they have a separate power source.

Of those that run off usb power, there are some that require a powered usb hub because the iPad doesn't deliver enough power via usb.

Finally, there are those that are able to run directly off the iPad. I'm interested in hearing which speakers fall into this category.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
The are usb speakers that require so much power that they only use the usb for data and they have a separate power source.

Of those that run off usb power, there are some that require a powered usb hub because the iPad doesn't deliver enough power via usb.

Finally, there are those that are able to run directly off the iPad. I'm interested in hearing which speakers fall into this category.

Oh i see, self powered USB speakers.

Unlikely that these will work as they will have some power hungry IC's, but don't really know.

Just tried some Altech Lansing self powered USB speakers-doesn't work. Got the too much power message

0sync0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I think there are some small speakers that have just one enclosure that will run off the power supplied by the Camera Connection Kit.

I'll get a speaker that requires a powered usb hub if I need to.

I guess there aren't many people who have tried this.

flavouringlife

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
Australia
I'm interested in which unpowered USB speakers will work.

Yes, it is working and i have tried and using now. First, you need to connect speaker to camera connection kit without open any app like video, ipod or any app that playing sounds. Then click on the app you want to use to watch movie or listen to music.

If you on the app before connect the USB Speaker, the warning message will pop out to warn you your attached device draining your power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.