Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Whats the best Movie/DVD converter for Mac?

I've tried a few now, mostly demos so unsure on full versions

Handbrake
Videomonkey
Roadmovie
iRip it
iFlicks

But wondering what people find the best (and fastest) please. I know Handbrake does DVD and avi conversion with VLC installed, whereas the others seem to only convert avi files or ripped DVDs 1st.

I dont mind buying a good app, but can someone recommend what they use and why
cheers

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
4561230714_d6e9a40397_o.jpg

How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format.

MPEG Streamclip for transcoding video, meaning making an .avi to a .mov for example.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Thanks for link, but I've read that before. I was hoping some users have tried the apps I stated (amongst others) and had experiences with them?

anyone?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Anyone please any more comments on apps used? The new AppleTV looks good, but again has to be in iTunes format. So any DVDs etc I have wold want in this format

cheers

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Anyone please any more comments on apps used? The new AppleTV looks good, but again has to be in iTunes format. So any DVDs etc I have wold want in this format

cheers

The new Apple TV recognises the same formats and codecs as the last one, and as one has to stream to it via iTunes or similar software, one needs the formats iTunes or the older Apple TV uses/d, thus one can still use the same software recommended in all the dozens of existing threads about this issue.

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
HandBrake is the defacto standard for transcoding video. RipIt is a great application, although I only use it for ripping DVDs. The queuing capabilities of HandBrake makes it easy to rip 4-5 DVDs with RipIt and then set HandBrake to encode during the night. Very efficient workflow IMO.

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
As far as getting mp4 files from dvds or otherwise, handbrake is the best choice, hands down. It does something that just keeps as much quality as possible compared to some elgato solution or even a quicktime conversion.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Handbrake is by far the best free application for this use.

I have found that RoadMovie, when used in conjunction with the free Perion QuickTime codec add-on, is the best and most versitile of them all. It not only is just as good as Handbrake for straight conversions, but it also can remux MKV to MP4, meaning fully Mac, Apple TV and iDevice compatible HD content in a few minutes instead of hours, automatically finds complete iTunes compatible metadata for both movies amd TV Shows, provides a comprehensive subtitle search function, and can do soft and hard subs using all the major subtitle extensions out there, and will even automatically add the finished product to iTunes for you if you want.

This one app does what it used to take 2-3 different ones to accomplish, and reduces the workflow down to almost nothing, and is solely responsible for me being able to move my Mac Mini into the office and only have an Apple TV at the main entertainment center un the house. Combined with the great streaming TV apps on the iPad/iPhone, the Apple TV and Airplay Mirroring, this almost reduces the need for cable TV down to zero...almost.

Really happy with RoadMovie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.