Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tim018

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2009
For some reason after I save an image out in photoshop the preview i get in a finder icon becomes fuzzy/smaller/and lacks a white border. the actual quality of the image is not affected and still displays correctly when previewed with the spacebar; but the icon messed up. i did a test below by putting an original in a folder and then opening up and saving a copy of the original in the same folder. the difference is pretty obvious. this glitch happens every time with any file type (psd, jpg, etc) and both with photoshop cs4 and cs5. anyone know why this happens and maybe a fix? also i am running 10.6.3 with all the updates installed for osx and photoshop.

thanks for any ideas

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-05-30 at 1.49.33 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-05-30 at 1.49.33 PM.png
    1,020 KB · Views: 181

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
This is because Photoshop saves it's own preview with the file (instead of the Finder generating one) the preview is much smaller than what the Finder generates and the Finder gives priority to built-in previews over generating them. To fix this you'll need to tell Photoshop not to save image previews.

That's also the easiest way to distinguish between Finder-generated previews and built-in ones: the generated ones have a white border and the built-in ones often do not.

Tim018

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2009
This is because Photoshop saves it's own preview with the file (instead of the Finder generating one) the preview is much smaller than what the Finder generates and the Finder gives priority to built-in previews over generating them. To fix this you'll need to tell Photoshop not to save image previews.

That's also the easiest way to distinguish between Finder-generated previews and built-in ones: the generated ones have a white border and the built-in ones often do not.

Aha, Brilliant! Thanks for the reply. Even though it might slow finder down i use the 512x512 previews all the time to determine what file i want to open (usually very similar looking web designs) so the fuzzyness made it much more difficult to figure out what I wanted. Thanks alot

Tim

weatherfield

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014
Worked for me

iThinkergoiMac's solution works for me. Wish I'd read this hundreds of photos ago! Wonder if there is a quick way to make all the old tiny icons larger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.