Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
Hello Everyone,

So I just moved and I will be without telco and broadband access for 1-2 weeks until it is set up.

I live in a large apt complex where they provide access to T1. When I moved in two days ago, my PB found that there was an unprotected signal "linksys" available.

I'm using this today to ask if I have the firewall on, should I be worried about checking my email, banking info, changing addresses on my account?

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I wouldn't worry too much, but if you're worried about someone sniffing your packets, be sure that all your connections with sensitive information are secure. i.e. https connections in Safari, and secure connections in Mail if your provider supports it.

If they provide acccess to a T1 though, why are you going onto your neighbors internet, and why are you getting broadband? Can't you just plug in?

Lee Tom

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
Thanks for the info LeeTom.

They will "turn on" my T1 in 1-2 weeks, it is an extra service that we pay $40 a month for. I don't think I will get a regular phone because I won't live here that long so dial-up is out.

Calvinatir

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2003
LA
I did the same thing at my apartment building when i moved in. The cable company took 2 weeks to get to my house so i leeched off my neighbor's connection....it was sweet

nesuser2

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2004
NW Ohio
well, if this guy has an unprotected network named linksys...there could be a number of things going on.

#1 He's just not that smart, doesn't realize that there's ways to protect himself and whatnot.

#2 He does know there are ways to protect himself but he simply doesn't care.

In any case, I really don't think this guy is going to care that you're stealing a little bandwidth from him. If you're downloading things with torrent, then you could expect them to get pretty heated. Anyways, most people wouldn't care if you were using their wireless signal. All my signals are unprotected and I haven't given it a second thought.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
Some times security the singels a lot more trouble than it worth. If you start sapping up a lot of bandwith he going to get pissed and when he starts snooping around he will find out that you are on it. (Not hard just have to look at the clinet table.)

My wireless network is unproctected mainly because I can not get it to work correctly and i gotten tired of messing with it so I gave up. Instead I just the mac address I say are ok are allowed on the network a much simpler solution. If a computer with an unathorized mac address tries to get on it is booted.

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
i used to run mac address filtering and WEP on my router... i live in a suburban area.. the neighborhood i live in is mostly older people (i'm 21). when the power would go out my linksys would keep getting things messed up in it's configuration settings and give me weird DHCP IP's... so now i don't use WEP or MAC filtering simply because i got sick of entering it in all the time if the power goes out.. (it would remember the settings but mess up DHCP so i would have to restart it and thus erase everything in the process). but i have a hard enough time getting wireless in my house.. i'd be suprised if anyone within 10-20 feet of my house got a signal ... i know the security risks but i just dont' give a rip anymore.. if i lived in an apartment where lots of people lived it might be different... i'm sure i show up as one of those "unsecured" access points in those studies.. but i just don'tcare.. i figure if you're lucky enough to get a signal.. have a blast lol

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
Thanks, yeah I won't suck their bandwith. Mainly just surf, run errands online and that type of stuff.

I do feel a little guilty "using" their bandwidth, but hey if it's unprotected running the default setup maybe they don't care. At the very least they should probably know that having unprotected WiFi in a high density area invites others to use it ;)

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I willing to bet his is still using is default password.

Go to ip 192.168.1.1 when you are connected and see if the password is still admin. just enter "admin" in the password box no user name and see if you get in, If you get in there is no way in hell he would ever figure out that you are on because he clearly did not even bother reading the manual (I am guessing this because he still is using the defeult name)

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Timelessblur said:
I willing to bet his is still using is default password.

Go to ip 192.168.1.1 when you are connected and see if the password is still admin. just enter "admin" in the password box no user name and see if you get in, If you get in there is no way in hell he would ever figure out that you are on because he clearly did not even bother reading the manual (I am guessing this because he still is using the defeult name)
Ha! I've done this before. I was almost tempted to lock the guy out of his own connection, but I'm not that malicious.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Why don't you go tell him that you can access this wireless network and work out a deal where you pay him $15 or $20 per month for full access?

Unless you need the speed of the T1 or want to create your own network...

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
sigamy said:
Why don't you go tell him that you can access this wireless network and work out a deal where you pay him $15 or $20 per month for full access?

Unless you need the speed of the T1 or want to create your own network...

Or, go to him and tell him that you can see his network and the odds are that someone else probably can, too. Offer to show him how to secure the thing if he'll allow you access for $10 a month. He'll probably be getting better service because he won't have 8 other guys logging in through his wireless connection, and you'll get a good deal as well, especially if you aren't staying that long.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
well, now that you brought this up and i set up my air port express the other day. How do i protect my self from people using my connection? I would just like my computer (or others that i asign to be allowed to use the network) I clicked on the air port utility and clicked "create a closed network" also when i clicked the "change wireless secuirty" under the wireless tab and the wireless security is set to WPA personal.... is this good?
thanks

18thTomorrow

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2004
The Alpha Quadrant
I love finding unprotected wireless networks and I thank the gods that be for people who leave theirs open, for whatever reason. It's just really handy to sit down with the iBook at a friend's apartment and realize that I can check my e-mail. I leave my network open for the same reason. I just watch that there aren't any unusual activity spikes or anything like that. Am I stupid for doing this?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
18thTomorrow said:
I love finding unprotected wireless networks and I thank the gods that be for people who leave theirs open, for whatever reason. It's just really handy to sit down with the iBook at a friend's apartment and realize that I can check my e-mail. I leave my network open for the same reason. I just watch that there aren't any unusual activity spikes or anything like that. Am I stupid for doing this?

It depends - do you have firewall(s) running on your Mac(s) and PC(s)? Do you have file sharing active?

I'd just be careful to opening up my network to someone who may be looking to do something a little more insidious than simply borrow bandwidth. I say it's always safer to be secure than to hope someone won't take advantage of the opening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.