Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

electropop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
can anyone help? i have a blue & white g3 mac and am looking for a cheap dvd burner that works well thats external.

a pioneer one tha was recommended and is fierwire said pc only so im confused.

pioneer DVR-S706 was the on suggested.

any help would be appreciated!

noahsnyc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2003
Los Angeles
Here ya go...

Well, it ain't cheap, but I did just purchase a beautiful new LaCie d2 dual-layer DVD+-RW drive for my iBook G4. It's gorgeous and cost about $240.

Later, I installed the included full-version of Toast Titanium 6 on my G3 500 iBook and rocked some back-ups. It worked just swell.

Hope this helps.

N

PS: ADDED EDIT - It is a firewire drive.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
pretty much yes, to get finder burning and itunes compatibility get a patch a called patchburn and pretty much any drive will work

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I thought DVD authoring was a G4+ thing only? Maybe doesn't matter with external. Toast will do anything you want though, it's a very good program. iDVD won't like it though.

Redboy

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2003
I know that iDVD or whatever that is requires a G4, but I don't know about simple burning in toast or dragon burn (or whatever that's called). Right now I have an extra external 5.25" firewire case that says "put a dvd burner in me" to me every time I see it. I've been wondering if I can just do that and let everything work. Compgeeks has some nice cheap DVD-RW drives lately...

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
LA Cie link

Here's the link for the LaCie:

8x d2 DVD±RW Double Layer with Toast® 6 Titanium http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10091

Specs call for Mac 9.1 or later, and a FW connector. You might get more installation info if you download their manual.

Another money saving option might be to order the unit as an internal (assuming you have space in the B & W) for $130 - you lose the ability to easily move the DVD unti between machines, but if saving cash is that important ...

One model configuration comes with a full version of Titanium. If you don't have it, and want it, you;re beter paying a little more now rather than buying it separately. (models also vary between their FW and USB 2 config's)

noahsnyc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2003
Los Angeles
The LaCie is a great machine, a little heavy for true portability, but not impossible. It's nice to look at and the company has a top-notch reputation. Like I said earlier, the drive, along with Toast Titanium 6, worked charmingly on an old 500mhz G3 iBook.

It's the truth, iDVD will only work w/ a G4, but go ahead and export the movie from iMovie and then burn to DVD w/ Toast and you should be good to go. Also, iDVD requires a little hacking to work with an external DVD burner anyway, so it's not a huge loss, Toast is very nice.

N.

electropop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
thanks guys for the tips. my comp has toast titanium on it already so i just need to purchase any dvd recorder thats mac compatible and all should be ok?

i want to be able to make motion menus and chapter selections. does toast do that or any recommendations?

electropop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
would i need to purcahse another type of video card to burn from another dvd player or from a vcr into the comp to make dvds?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.