Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Hey, here's a recording of my TiBook and the noise it makes when the PSU side fan comes on. It's a .mov because it shows how far away the recording device is from the source.

Anyhoo, does this sound "normal?" I'd hate to have to send in my PB this close to the Fall semester.

http://www2.truman.edu/~jps137/web/temp/fan.mov

Edit: The sound this fan makes does seem to fade into a much quieter sound, but the fan starting up sounds horrid.

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
The fan on mine has always sounded like that. Is your fan always on? Mine only comes on when the temperature gets to a certain point.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
It's hard to tell from the movie of that is just the high speed fan noise (which can be very loud) or the sound of the fan hitting something inside your powerbook. It is possible that the fan needs to be replaced, though. Is there an Apple store near you? Hearing the sound in person would really help to determine if it is a problem, so a Mac Genius should be able to help you out.

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
powerbook_xray.jpg

the innards of your powerbook. Look where the fan is in the back it could be back there.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
That does sound kind of strange. My fan is loud when it's on, but it doesn't make that sound. Definitely take it to a store if you're near one, hopefully you won't have to send it in.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
mikeyredk said:
the innards of your powerbook. Look where the fan is in the back it could be back there.

Not my powerbook. Mine is the 1Ghz with the 2 fans, this is an xray of a 667Mhz with it's 3 fans.

And it's definitely the PSu (right) side fan. I'm gonna take it to Des Peres this Saturday (stopping by on my way back to school). Hopefully they'll be able to do something "in store," but my hopes aren't high for that. Hopefully I'll get it back fine if they do have to replace it.

lol, it'd be neat if I'd get a new Aluminum book instead... *drool* but maybe not. Oh well, if they do send it in, my first week of college will be me on my 400Mhz G3. W00Terz

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
7on said:
Not my powerbook. Mine is the 1Ghz with the 2 fans, this is an xray of a 667Mhz with it's 3 fans.

And it's definitely the PSu (right) side fan. I'm gonna take it to Des Peres this Saturday (stopping by on my way back to school). Hopefully they'll be able to do something "in store," but my hopes aren't high for that. Hopefully I'll get it back fine if they do have to replace it.

lol, it'd be neat if I'd get a new Aluminum book instead... *drool* but maybe not. Oh well, if they do send it in, my first week of college will be me on my 400Mhz G3. W00Terz

2 fans, 3 fans, I'm confused. When I took my 667 DVI TI book apart to part it out I only remember one fan in the back of the unit. Where are the other 2 fans?

BEN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.