Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Are there and reviews on the new Apple Cinema Displays, particularly the 23" model? I'm particularly interested in the performance of this lcd in gaming - whether or not there are residual glow or ghosting effects.

Does anyone know whether the 20" and 23" are using the same lcds as the previous models?

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
I had the "old and busted" 23" for 2 months and I had no problem with it, no ghosting and decent pixel response. But, after seeing "the new hotness" ALU 23" I jumped on the bandwagon and traded in my old one and bought the new one. All I can say is that the new 23" is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the old one. It is much brighter and much higher contrast for more vibrant colors. All in all the new 23" is nothing short of amazing for an LCD, not to mention the way cool ALU enclosure and dual Firewire and USB, and DVI (I can use it with my new pc when I build it, YAY)!

P.S. From what I can tell the new LCDs must use a different panel than the old ones, becuase the differences are that big.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I saw them in the apple store and 20/23 and they look nice. They look nice with a G5. I tihkn the 20 is small.. or looks smaller then the old...maybe because tehy had it next to a 17. But they look nice

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Laslo Panaflex said:
I had the "old and busted" 23" for 2 months and I had no problem with it, no ghosting and decent pixel response. But, after seeing "the new hotness" ALU 23" I jumped on the bandwagon and traded in my old one and bought the new one. All I can say is that the new 23" is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the old one. It is much brighter and much higher contrast for more vibrant colors. All in all the new 23" is nothing short of amazing for an LCD, not to mention the way cool ALU enclosure and dual Firewire and USB, and DVI (I can use it with my new pc when I build it, YAY)!

P.S. From what I can tell the new LCDs must use a different panel than the old ones, becuase the differences are that big.
They do, the contrast ratio is up from 350:1 to 400:1 and pixel responce is down from 20ms to 16ms. Much better pannels. And those are such good descriptions, old and busted are perfect adjectives.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
jimsowden said:
They do, the contrast ratio is up from 350:1 to 400:1 and pixel responce is down from 20ms to 16ms. Much better pannels. And those are such good descriptions, old and busted are perfect adjectives.

Thanks. Nice to know Apple are advancing things.

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Thanks for the replies everyone. I just ordered the 23" from the Apple Online Store. Now I only need the money to a G5 and I'm set.

I'm confused, though. Why does it say "Now Shipping" on the home page but "2-4 weeks" on the product description.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
AndrewMT said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I just ordered the 23" from the Apple Online Store. Now I only need the money to a G5 and I'm set.

I'm confused, though. Why does it say "Now Shipping" on the home page but "2-4 weeks" on the product description.
"Now Shipping" seems to mean that a VERY limited number that were ordered within the first few seconds after a product was introduced are being shipped to select customers :rolleyes: (some have speculated that edu customers have received priority). With most new products backlogged, however, new orders can face long waits ...

xaphonyx

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2004
las Vegas
I just received my new 20in ACD today, it is absolutely beautiful. I have it hooked up to my windows machine right now (my dual 2.0ghz g5 hasn’t shipped yet) and windows has never looked better. I am a creative director, and this monitor will definitely meet all of my graphics needs. I upgraded from a 19in Sony crt, and I am in awe of how much better this monitor is. I have never seen a monitor this clear; it puts all other monitors to shame. I would highly recommend this monitor to anyone and everyone, it is in one word, amazing. :D

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Slightly related, I was at a booth at MWB, and they had a 23" display, hooked to, er, something (probably a G4 tower), which was also hooked to a Flextight scanner (*drool*:D). Anyways, it was facing away from me, but it was about crotch-high, so I leaned over, and the colors looked absolutely normal. I'm sure there's an explanation for this, because I don't think any LCD in existence has a vertical viewing angle of almost 180° :eek:

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
do you really need to read a review? lol.

i went out to my local apple store (which was PACKED btw), and saw the new ones up close... I started drooling. I wanted it... and im sure you will want it just as much :p

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2004
Laslo Panaflex said:
I had the "old and busted" 23" for 2 months and I had no problem with it, no ghosting and decent pixel response. But, after seeing "the new hotness" ALU 23" I jumped on the bandwagon and traded in my old one and bought the new one. QUOTE]

What is "ghosting"?

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Natalia81 said:
What is "ghosting"?

Ghosting is used to describe the blurry trail following the movement of anything on screen, i.e. mouse, windows, or video. To me ghosting hasn't been an issue for any LCD panels that I have used in the past year and a half, but it can still be an issue on budget LCDs.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Much nicer

I saw the new 23" display at J&R - it was so much nicer than the old 23" display. The picture was just a lot clearer.

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
My impressions so far

I've had the new 20" monitor for about a week now and thought I'd post some of my impressions.

Design: Awesome. Looks sleek and modern. The aluminum gives it a nice industrial look. IMHO, its far better than the fisher-price look of the old monitors. However, I do think it sits a little low. The screen is below my eye level. This could be due to the fact that its the same stand as the 30"? Anyway, Apple should have added vertical adjustment to the stand. Apparently, either everyone at Apple is about 5'6" or they like to sit low to the ground. Also, and I think its been mentioned before, the brightness and power controls are extremely sensitive and respond to the slightest touch. The firewire and USB ports are awesome to have since I have my MDD on the floor in a box covered with blankets(I'm still angry about how freaking loud it is...the reports of Steve Jobs being a little deaf must be true...probably from using a MDD). Also, the power cord design is a bit stupid. But I do like the power brick itself. Nice bit of design. Another example of Apple making something you'll never see after installation look nice.

Construction: Built like a tank and surprisingly heavy. No way this will tip over accidentally.

DVDs: I'm not big on watching dvd's on my computer(I have an hdtv for that). But I popped one in to check it out. Basically, its excellent. Any problems you might see are inherent in dvd and lcd technology. By that I mean the display is far higher resolution than the dvd(more than double). So when you play a movie in full screen mode, its essentially blowing the picture up. So you get some artifacts. Ghosting is minimal however. Its sort of like when you view a high quality Quicktime movie at double its encoded resolution. I might be biased, since I think in general dvd has poor picture quality after getting used to hd. But these new Apple displays probably blow the doors off of any designed-for-tv lcd on the market. Most of those displays are 480p. Typically the best you'll see is around 1280x720. Its a shame you can't use the Apple displays with a tv signal. They are cheaper than comparable lcd televisions with a far higher resolution. I'd get a 23" or 30" immediately for my bedroom(I'm dying to replace my sony tube).

Gaming: I've tried 4 games: DiabloII, Heroes IV, Dungeon Siege and C&C generals. All ran great. I don't play FPS so don't know how they look. Dungeon Siege was probably the best test for response time. There was some ghosting. But I can't tell if its due to the monitor or my extremely lame video card( ATI 9000/64MB ram).

General use: Awesome. Text is supersharp, great brightness, great color, etc. No complaints. Oh and I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the 10.3.5 update has added functionality. There is now an onscreen display if you adjust the brightness. And the power button now allows you to Shut Down, Sleep, or Restart. Nice.

A few notes... my old monitor was a Viewsonic 21" crt. That thing was a monster compared to this. In fact, the 20" seems a little small. In terms of screen real estate, the 20" seems a little cramped(I was used to 1600x1200). I'm still getting used to having the screen about 2ft. from me. Probably, if I could do it over, I'd go for the 23". I'd add another 20" but I'm not thrilled with the idea of spending an extra 100 for a dvi/adc adapter.

One other thing, I'm not usually one for color coordinating my entire desk, but after setting up this monitor....I now have to replace my beige speakers, since they look so out of place. I'm leaning towards the Altec Lansing fx 6021. Anyone have these? And I suppose I will probably get an ATI 9800... didn't realize getting a new monitor had all these additional costs.... :D

quidire

macrumors 6502
EyeTV

macidiot said:
I've had the new 20" monitor for about a week now and thought I'd post some of my impressions.
[...]
Its a shame you can't use the Apple displays with a tv signal. They are cheaper than comparable lcd televisions with a far higher resolution. I'd get a 23" or 30" immediately for my bedroom(I'm dying to replace my sony tube).

You can!

Elgato Systems makes a very highly regarded product by the name of
EyeTV. The 200 and the 500 (and the base model) are the only ones that work in the US. Note that the 500 cannot accept cable input, so its cable (200) OR HD (500). Strange design choice to be sure. (You may want to double check on this limitation, but I am pretty sure about it)

Its an archival tool, but you can watch "live" (1 minute lag behind true live, thanks to on-the-fly MPEG encoding, but on a positive side you can archive easily)

check it out!
-RS

PS I am not in any way affiliated w/ Elgato Systems.

fordespub

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2004
1 30" vs. 2 20" or 23"???

I can't locate the earlier string with related feedback . . . For Photoshop and video editing, would it be better to get 1 30" Apple display or 2 smaller ones? The cost of the 30", when including the required nVidia 6800 graphics card, is almost $4 grand. The cost of 2 23" displays is $4 grand. For the couple hundred more I would pay for the 2 23", would it be the better way to go? What about 2 20"s??? I'm trying to get the most "real estate" with the best specs. Any ideas???

fordespub . . . new Mac user (ibook) and future owner of the 3gh G5!

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i saw a 23" in john lewis, and it looked good and the lcd was nice. my only gripe with it was that the sides got rather warm which was a little odd

vkapoormd

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I just got the new 23" with my G5 a few days ago; i can tell you i was debating getting the 30 inch just because of the sheer size and screen real estate; i do work with PS and some video editing; i had read on previous posts that the 23 was plenty of screen for these purposes and just big overall. Looking at them in the store with their new frame (compared to the old 23", they didn't look that big). Of course the extra $2000 needed for the 30" was a little much for me. I can honestly say now that after a few days of using it, it is huge, and plenty big for my needs; go for the 2 23" if you can swing it. Good luck. :cool:

fordespub said:
I can't locate the earlier string with related feedback . . . For Photoshop and video editing, would it be better to get 1 30" Apple display or 2 smaller ones? The cost of the 30", when including the required nVidia 6800 graphics card, is almost $4 grand. The cost of 2 23" displays is $4 grand. For the couple hundred more I would pay for the 2 23", would it be the better way to go? What about 2 20"s??? I'm trying to get the most "real estate" with the best specs. Any ideas???

fordespub . . . new Mac user (ibook) and future owner of the 3gh G5!

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
just some notes for everyone. Buying a new graphics card to get rid of the ghosting you see on your LCD will not work. I repeat, if you think buying a new graphics card will in any way effect LCD ghosting, you're in for a big disappointment. If you don't like ghosting, you'll have to go back to a CRT or get a better LCD. You'll be hard-pressed to find a 23"+ LCD that doesn't ghost at all...20", however, that's a different matter. My Samsung 213T has extremely faint ghosting...i only notice it if I'm actively looking for it in a high-contrast movie scene.

Haven't checked out the new ACDs yet, but I'm sure they are pretty good (they had better be for those prices!).

nfocus design

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Texas
AndrewMT said:

The "Now Shipping" refers to Motion, not the G5.

I got the 23" on 8/14 and my G5 on 8/18. I must say they make a great match. The quality is excellent. I had a 17" studio display before and the 23" looks much better. Everything looks crisp and the colors pop. I've used Apple monitors for years and this is their best yet. I have not had any ghosting either.

There have been reports of some having a pink hue, but don't panic if yours is pink. Just calibrate it.

snooziums

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Evergreen State
macidiot said:
The firewire and USB ports are awesome to have since I have my MDD on the floor in a box covered with blankets(I'm still angry about how freaking loud it is...the reports of Steve Jobs being a little deaf must be true...probably from using a MDD).

I just got my brand new MDD yesterday and it is surprising quiet. They have appeared to fixed the noise problems.

There are noise reduction kits for the older MDD models. Just involve replacing your power supply and the main cooling fan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.