Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
I have a 400 MHz TiBook with pc133 ram in it and I was wondering if there is a way to overclock the FSB from 100 MHz to 133 MHz. It would be good if I could somehow do this without soldering on my logic board because I wouldn't feel very comfortable doing this.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
thecow said:
I have a 400 MHz TiBook with pc133 ram in it and I was wondering if there is a way to overclock the FSB from 100 MHz to 133 MHz. It would be good if I could somehow do this without soldering on my logic board because I wouldn't feel very comfortable doing this.
Instead of doing something that would do next to nothing, why not just get a new computer?

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Yeah, that really isn't a good idea.
If it works, it won't do much (if anything) to speed up your Powerbook.
If it doesn't work, your Powerbook is broken.

thecow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
I am waiting for the g5 powerbooks and while I am waiting I am trying to make my laptop as fast as I can without spending too much.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You'd be overclocking the FSB and reducing the multiplier on the CPU to keep it at 400MHz -- otherwise you'd kill the CPU and/or logic board.

Overclocking is generally not worth the risk unless the CPU is widely known for being stable at higher MHz -- which very few of the PPCs are know for.

And Motorola had a heck of a time at 400MHz.

Plus doing it in a notebook is rather crazy/risky.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Sun Baked said:
Plus doing it in a notebook is rather crazy/risky.

Yes, there are reasons as to why, on average, notebook is clocked lower than a desktop, is because of the heat. And as we should know, heat WILL kill your processor.

So I wouldn't recommend overclocking ANYTHING on a laptop.

As for overclocking on a Mac, how do you change the multipliers or the FSB?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.